Jon, List:

> On Apr 19, 2017, at 11:42 AM, Jon Alan Schmidt <jonalanschm...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Jerry C., List:
>
> To which specific hypotheses of mine are you referring?

I was referring to this conjecture / statement / assertion / hypothesis/
antecedent /…

>> Since everyone (including Peirce) agrees that instead the Object determines
>> the Sign,

The question of whether or not a sign determines an object or the object
determines the sign is open.  The meaning is context dependent in normal
linguistic usage.

In the chemical sciences, the apperception of Object and the Signs of the
Object (physical predicates) and the appellations of the object are used to
determine the logic of the proof of structure (the copulatives of the
argument.)

N.B., this is one of the factual aspects of the chemical and biological
sciences that separated these disciplines from the vastly simpler physical and
mathematical disciplines.

> What exactly do you mean by "reference terms" in those hypotheses?

My view is that a symbol system is grounded in root symbols (reference terms)
that have meaning such that a message can be composed.

In scientific / engineering discourse, the scientific and engineering symbols
infer metrological potentials.

In the “CSP-speak” of frequent posters to this list, such metrological
considerations are often excluded.

IMHO, of course.

Cheers

Jerry