Edwina, List:

I never have and never would set myself up as gatekeeper to Peirce or some
kind of authoritative interpreter of his writings.  What I have argued in
the past, but have no desire to rehash now, is that some readings of Peirce
(or any other author) are more legitimate than others.  Instead, I
respectfully would like to suggest that when we discuss semeiotic concepts
and terminology, we should be clear about the specific level of Peirce's
architectonic classification of the sciences in which we are operating.
There are at least three that seem to come up regularly.

   1. The normative science of logic as semeiotic.
   2. The metaphysical doctrine of semeiotic realism.
   3. The special science of biology, which includes biosemiotics.

This order corresponds not only to how they are arranged in Peirce's
scheme, but also to how much he had to say directly about them during his
lifetime.  As such, I acknowledge that there is more freedom in
biosemiotics--the topic of this particular thread--than in the
philosophical aspects of semeiotic (logic and metaphysics) to go well
beyond anything that Peirce explicitly stated, while still remaining within
the scope of broadly Peircean views.