Mike, list

        Many thanks. And yes, this Peircean semiosis does indeed function in
how matter itself evolved - from quarks to heavy elements and crystals
- to that 'internalization' of Thirdness [the knowledge-base] into the
individual bits of matter. That is, an atom's knowledge base is held
by the community to to speak and external to each individual
articulation of that knowledge base. That's actually important -
since it means that the organization of matter within that atom can't
randomly change; it provides for a basic stability and continuity in
our world.

        BUT - once you move the knowledge base within each individual
materialization - then, you can get variations of that knowledge base
via not merely random mutations within the base, but changes effected
by input from other individuals [via degenerate Thirdness or
3-2]...and that enables an explosion of diversity and complexity.

        Edwina
 On Sat 20/01/18  2:45 PM , Mike Bergman m...@mkbergman.com sent:
        +1

        Edwina, I think this is one of your best, most succinct
descriptions. It is how I understand Peirce and semiosis as
well. Without such an understanding, there is no continuity and
  explanation for reality in relation to cosmic evolution in
Peirce's metaphysics. In fact, it should also guide our
understanding of how matter itself evolved, from quarks to heavy
   elements and crystals.
        Mike