List:
> On Jul 5, 2018, at 7:38 AM, g...@gnusystems.ca wrote:
>
> In your other post, you wrote, “A Rheme not only must have at least one blank
> empty, but also at least one blank filled; it must have either breadth or
> depth, just not both.” I don’t know where you get this idea … A rheme with no
> empty blanks is called by Peirce a medad rheme (CP 2.272). Also, breadth of a
> term or rheme is not the filling of a blank, but the potential of a blank to
> be filled; and the filled blank would represent the breadth of a proposition,
> which must have both breadth and depth in order to convey information, and
> therefore be relevant to logical critic.

CP 2.272 is indeed critical.

>From the perspective of “meaning”, CP 2.272 represents the relationships
>between the concept the structure of a sentence and the logical content of it.
> Thus, CSP is maladroitly separating the words of a sentence into what he
>believes are more important terms from terms of ????  (lesser important?).
>The listing of the terms, medad, monad, dyad, triad, etc, lacks sentential
>meaning to this reader because CSP fails to relate the medad, monad, dyad,…
>to either the subject or predicate or prepositions, or adjectives, or adverbs,
>etc., of the statement.

In short, the fancy terms, medad, monad, dyad, triad,…  simply say a sentence
may contain 0,1,2,3, or more proper names.

What I find interesting in CP 2.272 is that one meaningful use of this queer
quasi- grammatical categorization is in the notion of parts of a whole which
was later developed into an important part of mathematical logic (Lesniewski’s
logic).
This is consistent with 3.420-421.

On the positive note, the rheme appears to extend the earlier usage of
syncategorimata (sp?).

Perhaps JAS would like to relate CP 2.272 AND 3.420-1 to his views of
meaningful information since any proper name could mean either breadth or
depth. depending on the grammar and context of the organization of the
proposition.

Cheers

Jerry