List, Gary:

> On Jul 5, 2018, at 4:18 PM, g...@gnusystems.ca wrote:
>
> [ I, therefore, take a position quite similar to that of the English
> logicians, beginning with Scotus himself, in regarding this introductory part
> of logic as nothing but an analysis of what kinds of signs are absolutely
> essential to the embodiment of thought. I call it, after Scotus, Speculative
> Grammar. I fully agree, however, with a portion of the English school … in
> thinking that this Speculative Grammar ought not to confine its studies to
> those conventional signs of which language is composed, but that it will do
> well to widen its field of view so as to take into consideration also kinds
> of signs which, not being conventional, are not of the nature of language. ]
> EP2:257]

In this context, and in light of recent progress in separating and defining the
logic of physic and chemistry, I read these sentences with fresh eyes.

As a result of subsequent century (post-CSP) inquiry, several lexical fields
for symbol systems have emerged.  These lexical fields are often referred to in
some sense of hierarchy theory.

Yet, Tarski has pointed out the necessity of ordering of meanings in different
lexical fields.

Can anyone suggest a reason why Tarski’s meta-languages in relative lexical
fields does not logically resolve the numerical  issue of EP2.257?

Or, is an even “wider” compositional base needed for logic, such as the Port
Royal propositions?

Cheers

Jerry