It may be of interest to some to look at the meaning of speculative grammar
from two other views,  Commens quote and the Modistae.  IN particular, the
concept of the “mirror” is critical to the art of scientific representations /
representamens.

> On Jul 5, 2018, at 9:30 AM, g...@gnusystems.ca wrote:
>
> Peirce always insisted that the analysis of propositions or of their meanings
> should not be based on linguistic grammar, i.e. on the ‘parts of speech’
> involved, because the linguistic structure of the sentences that represent
> propositions varies from1896 | The Regenerated Logic | CP 3.430

From the commens dictionary:

> “Exact” logic, in its widest sense, will (as I apprehend) consist of three
> parts. For it will be necessary, first of all, to study those properties of
> beliefs which belong to them as beliefs, irrespective of their stability.
> This will amount to what Duns Scotus called speculative grammar. For it must
> analyse an assertion into its essential elements, independently of the
> structure of the language in which it may happen to be expressed. It will
> also divide assertions into categories according to their essential
> differences. The second part will consider to what conditions an assertion
> must conform in order that it may correspond to the “reality,” that is, in
> order that the belief it expresses may be stable. This is what is more
> particularly understood by the word logic. It must consider, first,
> necessary, and second, probable reasoning. Thirdly, the general doctrine must
> embrace the study of those general conditions under which a problem presents
> itself for solution and those under which one question leads on to another.
> As this completes a triad of studies, or trivium, we might, not
> inappropriately, term the last study Speculative rhetoric. This division was
> proposed in 1867 by me, but I have often designated this third part as
> objective logic. to language, and logic/semeiotic is aims for the deeper and
> more universal structural principles that he called “speculative grammar.”

From Wikipedia

Speculative grammar | Britannica.com
<https://www.britannica.com/topic/speculative-grammar>
https://www.britannica.com/topic/speculative-grammar
<https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=spectulative+grammar&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#>

<https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:UuRjm13CZT4J:https://www.britannica.com/topic/speculative-grammar+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari>

<https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=related:https://www.britannica.com/topic/speculative-grammar+speculative+grammar&tbo=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjht6HL14jcAhUh94MKHWJHCL4QHwhCMAI>Speculative
 grammar, a linguistic theory of the Middle Ages, especially the second half of
the 13th century. It is “speculative” not in the modern sense but as the word
is derived from the Latin speculum (“mirror”), indicating a belief that
language reflects the reality underlying the physical world.
Modistae - Wikipedia <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modistae>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modistae
<https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=spectulative+grammar&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#>

<https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:DiHXchpBMKEJ:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modistae+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari>

<https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=related:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modistae+speculative+grammar&tbo=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjht6HL14jcAhUh94MKHWJHCL4QHwhIMAM>The
 Modistae (Latin for "Modists"), also known as the speculative grammarians,
were the members of a school of grammarian philosophy known as Modism or
speculative grammar, active in northern France, Germany, England, and Denmark
in the 13th and 14th centuries.