Dear Daniel,

    I read your introductory chapter for the book that you linked in your
post last week. Many interesting ideas. But I wonder why you seem to be
arguing for a purely individual perspective on learning, if I understand
you correctly, and why you claim there is no inborn social influence on the
self, especially given your interest in Peirce. Do you reject Peirce's
ideas on these points?
            I also wonder what your opinion would be on another
investigator of Amazonian peoples, who like you went there with a
completely different purpose from what she ended up observing and
recording. I really like the fact that you went there as a missionary and
allowed your observations to temper your beliefs. Something similar
happened with this other person who went there, Jean Liedloff.
     After repeated trips over years she came to understand the different
parenting styles of the people in the Venezuelan Amazon she observed. She
termed what she observed “The Continuum Concept,” and produced a really
interesting book on this idea with that title. She allows the idea of
instinctive impulses as powerful positive influences on parenting and on
the expectations of infants and developmentally young children, which seems
to me of a piece with Peirce's view of critical Common Sense-ism.

     Gene Halton