Gary F., List:

Peirce indeed referred repeatedly to Tokens as Signs, but I believe that
this was a form of shorthand.  Just like he acknowledged using "word" in
two different senses, he also used "Sign" in two different senses.  Just
like embodying a Graph (Type) in a Graph-Instance (Token) is scribing the
Graph (not the Instance), embodying a Sign (Type) in a Replica (Token) is
uttering the Sign (not the Replica).

My suggestion is that for the sake of greater clarity, we should more
carefully draw an explicit distinction between Signs as Types and their
Replicas as Tokens, as well as the significant characters of the latter as
Tones.  My post earlier today spelled out how I see this facilitating a
systematic explication of what is going on whenever an event of concrete
semiosis occurs.

In any Instance of a Sign, the Tone is the character (or set of characters)
by which the interpreting Quasi-mind recognizes the Sign-Replica to be an
individual Token of the Type.  Acquaintance with the system of Signs
(Essential Information) is necessary and sufficient for this.  It is
analogous to the role of the Immediate Object as that by which the
interpreting Quasi-mind identifies the Dynamic Object of the Sign, for
which Collateral Experience (Experiential Information) is necessary and
sufficient (cf. CP 8.179, EP 2:494; 1909).

As a Possible, the Tone can only have an Immediate Interpretant--"its
peculiar Interpretability before it gets any Interpreter."  As an Existent,
the Token is what produces the Dynamic Interpretant--"that which is
experienced in each act of Interpretation."  As a Necessitant, only the
Type has a Final Interpretant--"the one Interpretative result to which
every Interpreter is destined to come if the Sign is sufficiently
considered," which corresponds to the ideal Habit of Interpretation
(Substantial Information).  In other words, "The Immediate Interpretant is
an abstraction, consisting in a Possibility. The Dynamical Interpretant is
a single actual event. The Final Interpretant is that toward which the
actual tends" (SS 111; 1909).

As for EP 2:326, "token" clearly did not yet carry the very specific
technical meaning that Peirce attributed to it in "Prolegomena."  Moreover,
he went on to state that "signs by themselves can exert no brute force,"
which is another way of saying that "a sign is not a real thing"; that
which *can* exert brute force--i.e., any *actual* Thing--is *not* a Sign.
These are, after all, constituents of two *different* Universes of
Experience (CP 6.455, EP 2:435; 1908).