Jon, John, list, Regarding the type/token/tone trichotomy:

This was introduced in Peirce’s 1906 “Prolegomena”, and I think the paragraph
in which it appears is worth another look. I’m leaving open the question of
whether this trichotomy is conceptually identical to the 1903
legisign/sinsign/qualisign trichotomy. But I would ask readers to notice that
if Peirce meant in “New Elements” (1904) that all Signs are Types (and
therefore Tokens are not Signs), he must have changed his mind about that by
1906. Here is the paragraph (CP 4.537):

[[ A common mode of estimating the amount of matter in a MS. or printed book is
to count the number of words. There will ordinarily be about twenty the's on a
page, and of course they count as twenty words. In another sense of the word
“word,” however, there is but one word “the” in the English language; and it is
impossible that this word should lie visibly on a page or be heard in any
voice, for the reason that it is not a Single thing or Single event. It does
not exist; it only determines things that do exist. Such a definitely
significant Form, I propose to term a Type. A Single event which happens once
and whose identity is limited to that one happening or a Single object or thing
which is in some single place at any one instant of time, such event or thing
being significant only as occurring just when and where it does, such as this
or that word on a single line of a single page of a single copy of a book, I
will venture to call a Token. An indefinite significant character such as a
tone of voice can neither be called a Type nor a Token. I propose to call such
a Sign a Tone; In order that a Type may be used, it has to be embodied in a
Token which shall be a sign of the Type, and thereby of the object the Type
signifies. I propose to call such a Token of a Type an Instance of the Type.
Thus, there may be twenty Instances of the Type “the” on a page. The term
(Existential) Graph will be taken in the sense of a Type; and the act of
embodying it in a Graph-Instance will be termed scribing the Graph (not the
Instance), whether the Instance be written, drawn, or incised. A mere blank
place is a Graph-Instance, and the Blank per se is a Graph; but I shall ask you
to assume that it has the peculiarity that it cannot be abolished from any Area
on which it is scribed, as long as that Area exists. ]]

Peirce says here that a Token is “a sign of the Type, and thereby of the object
the Type signifies.” (Notice that the Type does not denote this object but
signifies it.) In one of the drafts of the “Prolegomena” (MS 293, “PAP”),
Peirce had written that “it is requisite that I explain exactly what I mean by
a Diagram, a word which I employ in a wider sense than is usual. A Diagram, in
my sense, is in the first place a Token, or singular Object used as a Sign; for
it is essential that it should be capable of being perceived and observed. It
is, however, what is called a General sign; that is, it denotes a general
Object.” Here the Token is said to be “used as a Sign.” But the earliest text
I’ve found where Peirce uses the term “token” in direct connection with signs
is from late 1904 (EP2:326) — not long after “New Elements” — where he says
that he is

[[ including under the term “sign” every picture, diagram, natural cry,
pointing finger, wink, knot in one’s handkerchief, memory, dream, fancy,
concept, indication, token, symptom, letter, numeral, word, sentence, chapter,
book, library, and in short whatever, be it in the physical universe, be it in
the world of thought, that, whether embodying an idea of any kind (and permit
us throughout to use this term to cover purposes and feelings), or being
connected with some existing object, or referring to future events through a
general rule, causes something else, its interpreting sign, to be determined to
a corresponding relation to the same idea, existing thing, or law. ]]

The above instances of the word “token” used by Peirce in semiotic contexts,
not to mention several others of later date, are hard to reconcile with the
hypothesis that for Peirce, tokens are replicas but are not signs.

As for the word “type,” its etymology and usage history (including its role in
Peircean semiotics) are fascinating in their own right, but I think I’ll save
that for a blog post rather than posting about it here.

Gary f.