Charles, List:

I apologize for being blunt, but we had a rather lengthy and somewhat
contentious List discussion of this topic just last week, so I was hoping
that a brief summary would suffice.  Here are links to a few of the key
exchanges for anyone interested in reviewing the details.

https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2018-08/msg00130.html
https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2018-08/msg00136.html
https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2018-08/msg00147.html
https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2018-08/msg00170.html

The bottom line is that in Peirce's philosophical system, 1ns/2ns/3ns
correspond to quality/reaction/mediation in phaneroscopy,
feeling/action/thought in Normative Science, and
possibility/actuality/regularity in metaphysics.  The consistent alignment
of re*act*ion, *act*ion, and *act*uality with 2ns is neither accidental nor
trivial (cf. CP 4.542; 1906).  I do not deny that there are "symbolic acts"
or "triadic action"; I simply advocate properly associating the *act*ive/
*act*ual aspects of these with 2ns, rather than 3ns.  Symbols *as general
Signs* do not inter*act* with anything; only their *individual Replicas* do.

Regards,

Jon S.