Jon Alen, Gary F, list,

In general I agree with your response to John, just a small remark on your
comment on Gary F.

GF:  Peirce never says that Semeiotic is a Normative Science ... there is no
single context in Peirce where he applies all three of the words Normative,
Logic and Semeiotic to a single science.

But he did say in CP 1.191 that logic is a Normative Science, "may be regarded
as the science of the general laws of signs," and has three
branches--Speculative Grammar, Critic, and Methodeutic.  Are you really going
to quibble over the absence of the word "Semeiotic," when that is
unquestionably what he had in mind?

--

In my opinion critic and methodeutic are normative, I agree to that since it
draws lines between good and bad in their domain. But speculative grammar just

Best,

Auke van Breemen

www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt <http://www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt>
- twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt <http://twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt>