Gary R, Jon, John, list,

I am pretty much in agreement with what John said in his most recent post, but
I’d like to take a step back a bit and try to explain where this terminological
tangle is coming from, because some of Peirce’s most important ideas are
entangled in it.

The three key words are “logic”, “normative” and “semeiotic.” The first two
were in common use among philosophers of Peirce’s time, and they involve
ambiguities which are not problematic in most contexts, but become so when we
combine them with the word “semeiotic”, which was not commonly used in Peirce’s
time. So we need to look closely at Peirce’s usage of all three words, one at a
time, in order to see why the combination “normative logic as semeiotic” did
not and could not occur in Peirce’s own texts. Only then will we have a clear
idea of what this phrase can mean for Peirceans.

Let’s start with “logic.” Some of the ambiguities lurking behind this term can
be glimpsed at the beginning of the article on it in Baldwin’s Dictionary
(1902, http://gnusystems.ca/BaldwinPeirce.htm#Logic):

[[ Logic is a science which has not yet completed the stage of disputes
concerning its first principles, although it is probably about to do so. Nearly
a hundred definitions of it have been given. It will, however, generally be
conceded that its central problem is the classification of arguments, so that
all those that are bad are thrown into one division, and those which are good
into another, these divisions being defined by marks recognizable even if it be
not known whether the arguments are good or bad. Furthermore, logic has to
divide good arguments by recognizable marks into those which have different
orders of validity, and has to afford means for measuring the strength of
arguments.

An approach to such a classification is made by every man whenever he reasons,
in the proper sense of that term. It is true that the contemplation of a state
of things believed to be real may cause the contemplator to believe something
additional, without making any classification of such sequences. But in that
case he does not criticize the procedure, nor so much as distinctly reflect
that it is just. He can, consequently, not exercise any control over it. Now,
that which is uncontrollable is not subject to any normative laws at all; that
is, it is neither good nor bad; it neither subserves an end nor fails to do so.
]]

The article goes on to make the distinction between logica utens and logica
docens, which I will assume is familiar to readers of this thread. But notice
the usage here of “normative”: it refers back to “the classification of
arguments, so that all those that are bad are thrown into one division, and
those which are good into another,” which is generally taken to be the “central
problem” of logic. “Normative laws” are those which determine whether a
reasoning procedure is (1) good or bad, or (2) subserves an end or fails to do
so, where (1) and (2) are taken to be equivalent. Thus the basic signification
of the term normative involves the “emphatic dualism” which, as Peirce says, is
characteristic of normative sciences. But an ambiguity arises when we use the
term in a classification of all sciences, so that it denotes three of those
sciences: esthetics, ethics and logic. The recognition of those particular
sciences as “Normative” was common in Peirce’s day, and he did not challenge
it; but he did explain that they were normative in different ways and to
different degrees. And this ambiguity is amplified by the ambiguity implicit in
Peirce’s usage of the term “logic.” He was quite explicit about this ambiguity
as early as 1896 (accepting that as the probable date of CP 1.444):

[[ The term “logic” is unscientifically by me employed in two distinct senses.
In its narrower sense, it is the science of the necessary conditions of the
attainment of truth. In its broader sense, it is the science of the necessary
laws of thought, or, still better (thought always taking place by means of
signs), it is general semeiotic, treating not merely of truth, but also of the
general conditions of signs being signs (which Duns Scotus called grammatica
speculativa), also of the laws of the evolution of thought, which since it
coincides with the study of the necessary conditions of the transmission of
meaning by signs from mind to mind, and from one state of mind to another,
ought, for the sake of taking advantage of an old association of terms, be
called rhetorica speculativa, but which I content myself with inaccurately
calling objective logic, because that conveys the correct idea that it is like
Hegel's logic. The present inquiry is a logical one in the broad sense. ]]

Logic as semeiotic is logic in the broad sense. But Peirce was almost alone in
using the word with that broad sense; the narrower sense was the one familiar
to everybody else. Consequently Peirce could not use the broader sense in
public except to explain why he thought the sense of the word should be
broadened in this way. In those contexts he invoked the three-way division of
logic as semeiotic into speculative grammar, critic, and rhetoric, where
logical critic represents logic in the familiar and narrower (and most
normative) sense. But in his 1903 Outline Classification of the Sciences (CP
1.180 – 202, EP2:258-62), Peirce does not use the broader sense at all. This
explains why Semeiotic is not given any place in that classification scheme —
and why we struggle to find a good place for it in our diagrams of that scheme.

Peirce never says that Semeiotic is a Normative Science. On the other hand, in
contexts where he is explaining why he sees Logic as Semeiotic, using “Logic”
in the broad sense, he does not speak of Logic as a normative science.
Consequently, there is no single context in Peirce where he applies all three
of the words Normative, Logic and Semeiotic to a single science. If anybody can
find one, that statement will be refuted. But I haven’t found one, and over the
past few days I’ve searched Peirce’s texts extensively for that combination.

Jon, I hope this will make it unnecessary for me to respond to your post in
detail; but I will do so if requested.

Gary f.