Edwina and Gary R,

I endorse Edwina's caveats.  Her examples are among the "puffy clouds"
that create ambiguities in any reasoning stated in ordinary language.
After half a century of using and inventing symbolic logics, Peirce
could keep the distinctions clear in his own mind, but any excerpt
from his writings could easily be ambiguous when taken out of context.

That's why formal logic is essential to clarify any reasoning that
relates quotations from different MSS.

GR
I truly doubt that Jon needs your "help," while insulting and
hubristic comments such as saying that if he refuses to accept your
"help" that he has "nothing but a puffy cloud of words" is, in my
opinion, below any serious scholar's dignity.

When it comes to logic, I treat Jon as a student.  He's not happy
when I say that, so I haven't said that recently.  Instead, I stated
the most appropriate analogy for his style of reasoning:  "puffy
clouds of words".   If that's considered insulting, I'll just give
him a "gentleman's C".

Ambiguities are the primary reason why words, by themselves, can
be misleading.  Even in Peirce's technical vocabulary, there are
ambiguities in the words 'subject' (grammatical or logical) and
'universe' (the universe of discourse on the sheet of assertion
or one of the three modalities -- possible, actual, necessary).

The sheet of assertion, as a piece of paper, is in the universe
of actuality.  But the universe of discourse represented by the
EGs on that paper is an abstraction in the universe of possibilities.
No matter where God may be, any statement about God that is written
on that paper exists in actuality, and its universe of discourse
is in the universe of possibility.

Those distinctions provide enough universe-like combinations to
support any talk about God or anything else.  Another realm for
God is both semeiotically unnecessary and anti=Peircean.

I admit that Jon has done good work in studying Peirce and relating
passages from various MSS.  But when he draws inferences that go
beyond anything Peirce said, there is usually a good reason why
Peirce did not make those inferences.  It's important to ask why.

It's not acceptable to attribute any position to Peirce that
he did not explicitly state -- for example, the assumption that
anything could or even must exist outside his three universes.

Since Gary questioned my qualifications to grade Jon's claims,
I'll summarize a few points.  I spent 30 years in R & D at IBM,
where I used math & logic for projects in AI, computational
linguistics, and parsers and inference engines.  I published
papers and books and taught courses at IBM and elsewhere.

In 1987, for example, I taught a graduate course at Stanford in the
Computer Science Dept., which also had many students in linguistics.
The only prerequisite was "knowledge of first-order logic and natural
language syntax".  For the course description and student evaluations:
http://jfsowa.com/pubs/su309a.pdf .  Note that my rating was higher
than the average for the CS department in nearly all categories.

For the first homework assignment, the students were supposed to
translate 10 English sentences to first-order logic.  None of the
sentences had any syntactic or semantic ambiguities.  There were
about 30 students in the class, but only one student got all 10
sentences correct.  He was a post-doc, who had just finished his
PhD in linguistics and was just auditing the course.

For more recent work, see the 73-page article on "Reasoning with
diagrams and images", which was published in 2018 in the Journal
of Applied Logics, vol. 5:5, pp. 987-1059 of
http://www.collegepublications.co.uk/downloads/ifcolog00025.pdf

Re helping Jon to translate Peirce's statements to EGs:  I meant
that offer in all sincerity.  I doubt that Jon could correctly
translate the relevant quotations from Peirce to EGs or any other
version of symbolic logic.  Note that Stanford graduate students
in computer science or linguistics couldn't do that.

In any case, I would be pleasantly surprised if Jon could translate
the relevant quotations by Peirce to EGs.  If he can't do that, I
would automatically dismiss any of his claims about any arguments
that take more than one step.