John, List:

JFS:  I endorse Edwina's caveats.  Her examples are among the "puffy
clouds" that create ambiguities in any reasoning stated in ordinary
language.

Do you likewise endorse all of Edwina's attributions of positions to Peirce
that he did not explicitly state?  If not, why have you not said so?  In
what sense are her own (or anyone else's) posts any less pervaded by "puffy
clouds" than you claim mine to be?  Do you automatically dismiss the claims
of anyone who does not first demonstrate their mastery of EGs to your
satisfaction, or do you reserve that treatment only for those with whom you
happen to disagree?

JFS:  When it comes to logic, I treat Jon as a student.  He's not happy
when I say that, so I haven't said that recently.  Instead, I stated the
most appropriate analogy for his style of reasoning:  "puffy clouds of
words".   If that's considered insulting, I'll just give him a "gentleman's
C".

What would be your response if I stated, "When it comes to Peirce's
Semeiotic and Metaphysics, I treat John Sowa as a student" and then offered
you a "gentleman's C" for your performance so far?  Let me be clear--I
would never *actually *be so disrespectful, in this or any other context.
I cannot now and never will be able to match your credentials, but my
impression is that the List is supposed to be a forum where *anyone *can
share thoughts related to Peirce, and ideally receive *constructive *feedback.
In other words, we are all *equals *here, so there is no basis for *anyone *to
make an appeal to their own authority; instead, if someone thinks that I
(or anyone else) is saying something incorrect or unsupported in Peirce's
writings, then the proper response is to *make a better argument*.

I have been told off-List that I tend to come across as very forceful and
sure of myself.  What I am usually doing is trying out a hypothesis, making
the strongest case for it that I can, seeing what (if any) objections
arise, and then figuring out whether and how I can address them.  When no
one on-List manages to *persuade *me that I am on the wrong track, it in no
way entails that I am *unwilling *to change my mind; in fact, when I
*do *realize
that I have made a mistake, I will usually *admit *it and be *grateful *for
the correction--for example, when I recently experimented with
Propositional Graphs, but ultimately abandoned them in favor of sticking
with EGs.  As I have said before, *I am here to learn*, not to make
dogmatic pronouncements that I expect everyone else to accept without
critical evaluation.

JFS:  It's not acceptable to attribute any position to Peirce that he did
not explicitly state ...

In general, I agree, although I think that we are not doing anything
untoward when we draw *reasonable *inferences from those explicit
statements, even if Peirce never wrote down that exact arrangement of words
himself.  If we were *strictly precluded* from doing this, then there would
not be a vast secondary literature derived from what he *did *write down;
and what on earth would we ever discuss on the List?  Besides, did he
ever *explicitly
state* that the presentation of EGs in his 22 June 1911 letter to Mr.
Kehler (NEM 3:168-169; 1911 June 22) was "his final preferred version," as
you have repeatedly claimed?  You once reported
<https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2019-04/msg00107.html> that he
did so in his 6 Dec 1911 letter to Risteen, but the actual text itself
contains no such assertion, as I pointed out
<https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2019-04/msg00111.html> at the
time.  For that matter, did Peirce *ever* describe *anything* that he wrote
as "his final preferred version"?

JFS:  ... for example, the assumption that anything could or even must
exist outside his three universes.

But that is *not *an example of what you deem unacceptable.  First, the
claim is not that anything *exists *outside the three Universes--according
to Peirce, nothing *exists* outside the *second *Universe of
Actuality/Existents--but that there is a *Reality *outside the three
Universes.  Second, and more to the point, Peirce *did *explicitly describe
God as "in my belief Really creator of all three Universes of Experience"
(CP 6.452, EP 2:434; 1908) and "a Being *not *immanent in the Universes of
Matter, Mind, and Ideas, but the Sole Creator of every content of them
without exception" (R 843:15; 1908).

JFS:  For the first homework assignment, the students were supposed to
translate 10 English sentences to first-order logic.  None of the sentences
had any syntactic or semantic ambiguities.  There were about 30 students in
the class, but only one student got all 10 sentences correct.

I freely admit that I am probably not adept enough with any of the
*notations* for first-order logic (including EGs) to translate English
sentences of significant complexity, but if you send me those ten, I am
willing to take a stab at it.

JFS:  I doubt that Jon could correctly translate the relevant quotations
from Peirce to EGs or any other version of symbolic logic.

That depends on how much simplification is permitted.  As I already noted,
my Semeiotic Argumentation is a first figure (Barbara) syllogism,
*identical* to Peirce's simple example of reasoning with EGs in that same
letter to Mr. Kehler with S = the entire Universe, M = a Sign, and P =
determined by an Object other than itself.