BODY { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px; }1]
JAS- This is what I was responding to: You wrote:
 "As with any logical or mathematical "proof"--i.e., any deductive
argumentation--the conclusion is only as strong as the premisses.  If
one premiss is false, then the conclusion is false, or at least
unwarranted on the basis of  that premiss; but anyone who affirms all
of the premisses is rationally required to affirm the conclusion, as
well."

        You said nothing about the form of the argument; you based your
assertion only on the premises and clearly stated that if one accepts
the premises as true, then, one is 'rationally required to affirm the
conclusion'.

        I merely showed you some examples where the premises were all true -
but one couldn't consider the conclusion as true. Once I had done that
- you then introduced the requirement for 'logical form'.

        2] My interest in this thread is to reject the idea of an external
metaphysical agency for the Universe [aka God] and to focus instead
on the self-generating and self-organizing properties of the semiosic
process. .As outlined, for example, in Peirce's description of the
emergence of the Universe [1.412]

        Edwina
 On Tue 21/05/19  6:37 PM , Jon Alan Schmidt jonalanschm...@gmail.com
sent:
 Edwina, List:
 ET:  My understanding of science is that its axioms are based on
objective empirical evidence; repeatable observations; quantitative
measurements and fallibility.
 Then your definition of "science" is narrower than Peirce's.
  ET:  Your comments referred only to the premises being true - and
you declared that if the premises are true then the conclusion must
be true. I simply showed you some examples which invalidated your
assertion.
 No, for (at least) the third time, the requirement is that the
premisses are true and the form of argumentation is valid.  Your
examples met the first criterion, but not the second.  My Semeiotic
Argumentation meets both.
 ET:  I consider it reductionism - and therefore, have every right to
my opinion. You may reject it, but I don't really think that you have
the right to tell me to stop having this opinion.
 The double standard appears again.  What precludes someone from
making exactly the same statement, but substituting "unPeircean" for
"reductionism"?  What makes some such opinions acceptable, and others
out of bounds?  Who gets to decide where that line is drawn--i.e.,
whose  opinion about this is authoritative?
 ET:   I'm not going to get into any discussion of God or creation of
the Universe etc.
 In that case, given its subject line, why are you participating in
this thread at all?
 Regards,
 Jon S.