Jon,

You wrote:

Peirce consistently maintains that there are exactly three interpretants.

-

This sentence most certainly is not true. In the alpha part of semiotics it may
seem so, but not in the beta part  (see my other mail) where he deals with the
interprtetation of the sign. lets do the count:

1. emotional interpretant, the interpretive view on the qualisign aspect

Heading for a subdivision: energetic interpretant to be subdivided into

2. mental interpretant (iconic signaspect) and

3. effort interpretant (sinsign aspect)

heading for a subdivision: logical intepretant to be sub-divided into:

4. immediate interpretant (rheme aspect)

5. dynamical interpretant (dicent aspect)

6. normal interpretant (the argument aspects in which all lower aspects are
involved).

Peirce hemself did not connect them directly. Probably because as a logicean
with an eye on the sheet of assertion he did not take the apprehension of the
sign as an object into account.

Notice that the index, the symbol and the legisign aspect are still missing.
Those emerge in the gamma part, that deals with the interaction of two signs.
What follows has to be read as an analytical reconstruction in fragments only.

Suppose our interaction as a communication between two semiotic sheets A and B,
and that our conversation by mail is the intersection of our sheets. Lets
further accept that Shannon covers the transmission of the sign as an object
(i.e. qualisign, sinsign and icon aspect of our words).   Lets take the word
'god'. On the pc the legisign is covered by the asci value of the signs to be
transmitted and the interoperability in their value interpretation on both our
computers.

For our reading the screen, the legisign aspect is not covered. Each of the
sheets develops out of its inscripton (reading the screen) the emotional,
mental and physical interpretants for further processing as a legisign.  It is
by being inscribed in our respective sheets, that we are able to develop the
import of the sign for our respective universes of discourse. The indexical
sign aspect covers this, but we have to distinguish index A from index B, for
instance by tincture as in the gamma part of EG. The legisign aspect is the
habit of interpretation that is pertinent to our respective sheets if we
technically read the sign. I don't expect much difference here between A and B,
both will notice a difference in capitalization in different occurences, but
that is all that has to be covered by the legisign. With the symbol things
differ. A person consistently writing 'God' may be expected to have other
concepts evoked than a person consistently writing 'god'. If we want to know
the difference, we have to look at the dynamical interpretant aspects developed
out of the rhematic possibilities the sign offers for A and for those in B. If
the dynamical interpretants agree to sufficient degree they will be the same,
i.e. we evolved the same symbol aspect of the sign 'god'.  But how can we know?
We need the argument, on each sheet, that connects all involved aspects to
produce a response. The response being a sign on the intersection of sheet A
and B, which is the screen. The alpha part of semiotics may be indifferent to
the differences between sheets, it abstracts. But in gamma we need to make sure
to keep count of the sheets to which the signs are connected. Your
representational interpretant of 'God' as a symbol probably differs from mine
in a lot of respects, leading to differences in response. They add up in
different ways on the sheets A and B. And habit change may occur on both. Not
neccesarilly in any intended direction. By being indexically commected with the
respective sheets, the incriptions may becomme relevant for other exchanges of
sheet A and B in other processes with C, etc., by becomming relevant for the
representational interpretant of that other proces's goal.

Best,

Auke