Jon Allen,

You seem to forget that 'the interpretant of a sign' differs from the
'interpretant sign', which in itself is a full blown sign, in need of its own
qualisign, sinsign, etc, etc, and interpretant aspects. In the   page
https://rs.cms.hu-berlin.de/peircearchive/pages/preview.php?from=search&ref=13283
 - (What a progress, i had to search the dusty corners of dusty university
rooms in order to delve up the micro-fiche edition and have it printed) the
structure is given for the interpretant regarded as a sign 1. A;  2. B. a.b.;
3. C. abc.

best,

Auke