Jon AS, Gary F, and Auke,
Jon's recent note shows a serious failure
in communication:
JAS> To be honest, none of this [a quotation by
Auke] makes much sense to me, which is not to say that it is
incorrect--again, I suspect that it simply reflects my different  purpose,
different standpoint, and different overall way of thinking.  For example,
my speculative grammar does not include qualisigns at all...
I don't
want to pin the blame on anyone.  But if  three people who studied
Peirce's work in great detail can't understand one another, somebody must
be deviating quite far from Peirce's foundation.
AvB> The object
of the collection of qualisigns is the sign that offers itself for
interpretation. The object of the pure icon you are writing about has the
collection of qualisigns as its object. The object of the pure sinsign is
the actually inhering of the qualisign/icon combination in  my sheet of
semiosis (or mind if you wish) as its object...
I find Auke's
comments clearer than Jon's, partly because Auke is using words that I
learned from Peirce, and Jon's "speculative grammar does not include
qualisigns at all."
But I believe that this is a very strong
reason why we need to take some examples and show how each person's
preferred terminology and methods of analysis could explain the semeiotic
processes.