Jon, I guess I’d better restate my point about semiotic “analysis” as simply as
I can:

First, in the real world there is no disembodied mind and no disembodied
semiosis. Hence there is no  context-free semiosis. Analysis of an instance of
semiosis, whether that instance is observed or merely imagined, must take the
context of that instance into account in order to explain how that actual
process of semiosis works.

I quoted an example of semiosis which Peirce analyzed: a bit of conversation
with his wife. That was an example of communicative semiosis, and he analyzed
it accordingly. If, as you said, you do not find that analysis helpful, i think
it's because you are trying to construct a context-free analysis, based on an
abstract mathematical schema. I just don't see how that kind of analysis serves
any pragmatic purpose.

In that same post i gave another example, this time of perceptual semiosis,
which is embodied quite differently from communicational semiosis. This is the
one you were referring to when you wrote that “Gary F.'s stated purpose is to
analyze "a semiosic process going on in a single brain."” — as if that were the
only kind of semiosic process I had in mind. That was a misreading on your
part. The point I was trying to make, the (unstated) purpose of my post, was to
make the rather simple assertion that the component parts of a semiosic process
will naturally vary somewhat depending on the context of that process
(communication, perception, deductive inference, etc.) You on the other hand
think that the variations in Peirce’s terms for “the three interpretants”
represent his experimenting with different naming schemes for a triad of
interpretants which are always the same regardless of the context of the
semiosis. That, and not a difference of “stated purposes,” is the difference
between our views in this exchange. (Of course I can’t speak for Auke on this
matter.) When you talk about “the analysis of an individual sign token” I
really have no idea what you’re talking about.

Gary f.