Gary F., List:

GF:  First, in the real world there is no disembodied mind and no
disembodied semiosis. Hence there is no context-free semiosis.

I agree, but as I stated, "My purpose is to analyze the process of
semeiosis *in general*"; i.e., the aspects of semeiosis that are operative
in *every *context.  I also admitted that this is "a much more abstract
pursuit" that falls "within speculative (i.e., theoretical) grammar, rather
than a special science."  I had in mind this particular passage by Peirce.

CSP:  Logic, in its general sense, is, as I believe I have shown, only
another name for *semiotic* (σημειωτική), the quasi-necessary, or formal,
doctrine of signs. By describing the doctrine as "quasi-necessary," or
formal, I mean that we observe the characters of such signs as we know, and
from such an observation, by a process which I will not object to naming
Abstraction, we are led to statements, eminently fallible, and therefore in
one sense by no means necessary, as to what *must *be the characters of all
signs used by a "scientific" intelligence, that is to say, by an
intelligence capable of learning by experience. ... Now the whole process
of development among the community of students of those formulations by
abstractive observation and reasoning of the truths which *must* hold good
of all signs used by a scientific intelligence is an observational science,
like any other positive science, notwithstanding its strong contrast to all
the special sciences which arises from its aiming to find out what *must be*
and not merely what *is* in the actual world. (CP 2.227, c. 1897)

The fundamental difference between the normative science of
semeiotic--specifically its formal branch, which is speculative
grammar--and any special science is that they have different *purposes*.
According to Peirce, "all the special sciences" aim to find out "merely
what *is *in the actual world."  That is where semeiosis is analyzed in
various *specific *contexts, as an *application *of semeiotic.  By
contrast, semeiotic *itself *employs abstraction to formulate, explicate,
and evaluate plausible but "eminently fallible" hypotheses about "what
*must* be the characters of all signs" and "the truths which *must *hold
good of all signs," regardless of the context.  Here is how Peirce
described the requisite task of "abstractive observation" at the ellipsis
in the quote above.

CSP:  As to that process of abstraction, it is itself a sort of
observation. The faculty which I call abstractive observation is one which
ordinary people perfectly recognize, but for which the theories of
philosophers sometimes hardly leave room. It is a familiar experience to
every human being to wish for something quite beyond his present means, and
to follow that wish by the question, "Should I wish for that thing just the
same, if I had ample means to gratify it?" To answer that question, he
searches his heart, and in doing so makes what I term an abstractive
observation. He makes in his imagination a sort of skeleton diagram, or
outline sketch, of himself, considers what modifications the hypothetical
state of things would require to be made in that picture, and then examines
it, that is, *observes *what he has imagined, to see whether the same
ardent desire is there to be discerned. By such a process, which is at
bottom very much like mathematical reasoning, we can reach conclusions as
to what *would be* true of signs in all cases, so long as the intelligence
using them was scientific. (ibid)

The only qualification here is that the signs being studied are those "used
by a 'scientific' intelligence ... capable of learning by experience."
However, this is not really much of a limitation, and by no means confined
to *human *intelligence.  In fact, there is a sense in which the evolution
of the *entire universe* is an ongoing process of "learning by
experience."  As I have often suggested before, since "Logic may be defined
as the science of the laws of the stable establishment of beliefs" (CP
3.429, 1896), "Logic ... is ... another name for *semiotic*" (CP 2.227, c.
1897), and "The essence of belief is the establishment of a habit" (CP
5.398, EP 1:129, 1878), *semeiotic *may be defined as the science of the
laws of the stable establishment of *habits*.  Moreover, "matter is effete
mind, inveterate habits becoming physical laws" (CP 6.25, EP 1:293, 1891),
such that the habits of matter are outcomes of semeiosis--i.e.,
interpretants--just as much as the habits of mind.

GF:  I quoted an example of semiosis which Peirce analyzed: a bit of
conversation with his wife. ... If, as you said, you do not find that
analysis helpful, i think it's because you are trying to construct a
context-free analysis, based on an abstract mathematical schema. I just
don't see how that kind of analysis serves any pragmatic purpose.

Although in the past I have found that particular example more perplexing
than enlightening, I took a stab at analyzing it in accordance with my own
speculative grammar in a recent List post, resulting in some conclusions
that were consistent with Peirce's own remarks and others that were
inconsistent with them.  As I have acknowledged repeatedly, my speculative
grammar is not *identical *to his, but I sincerely believe that it remains
recognizably *Peircean*.  In any case, again, my purpose is primarily
*theoretical
*rather than pragmatic; and as such, it is indeed "based on an abstract
mathematical schema" resulting from "abstractive observation," as Peirce
himself advocated.

GF:  In that same post i gave another example, this time of perceptual
semiosis, which is embodied quite differently from communicational
semiosis. This is the one you were referring to when you wrote that “Gary
F.'s stated purpose is to analyze 'a semiosic process going on in a single
brain'"--as if that were the *only* kind of semiosic process I had in mind.
That was a misreading on your part.

My apologies, I did not mean to imply that it was "the *only *kind of
semiosic process [you] had in mind"; just that it was the specific kind of
semeiosic process you had in mind with that specific example.