John, List:

I seem to recall a recent on-List assertion that "Peirce would cringe at
most, if not all attempts to paraphrase his thoughts."  That is exactly
what the first sentence below constitutes, unless it can be supported by a
direct quotation from Peirce in which he explicitly states that a theory
being "fallible" does not mean that we are "free to make adjustments" to it.

I seem to recall another recent on-List assertion that Peirce "would be
horrified at the thought that anybody would attempt to pick and choose some
rigid set of quotations as a definitive formulation of his thought."
Besides being another (presumably cringe-worthy) attempt to paraphrase his
thoughts, this statement apparently prohibits us from taking his writings
about semeiotic (or anything else) as a definitive formulation of his
theory.

In any case, Kuhn's concept of "normal science" is by no means limited to
finding new applications of an established theory.  If every theory is
fallible, then every theory is susceptible of further theoretical
adjustments, which need not overturn the *entire *theory.  In other words,
there is a huge difference between proposing changes to some of the *details
*of the theory--which is all that I am doing--and advocating a fundamental
paradigm shift.

I have said several times now that one of the ways in which my speculative
grammar deviates from Peirce's is by rejecting qualisigns, and I have given
my primary reason for this each time--a quality *in itself* cannot
represent something else, it can only present itself; and therefore, a
quality *in itself *cannot be a sign.  So far no one has actually
*argued *against
this position or offered any example of a quality that is a sign *in itself*,
rather than a tone that inheres in a token.