John, List:

Thanks for confirming that there are no specific examples to cite of Gary
R. making the kinds of "blanket statements" of which he has been repeatedly
and falsely accused.  I sincerely hope that a retraction and an apology
will be forthcoming accordingly.

JFS:  Even Peirce could not "integrate different passages to arrive at an
overall interpretation of [his own] thought".  No Peircean scholar or
committee of scholars would attempt to do that.  If Peirce himself couldn't
do that, it's the height of hubris for anybody else to claim that they
could.

This is utter nonsense.  *Many *Peircean scholars have attempted to do
that, not out of hubris but out of a sincere (even humble) desire to learn
from Peirce's writings and then help others do likewise.  As I have said
before, that is precisely why there is such a vast secondary
literature--including books like Kelly A. Parker's *The Continuity of
Peirce's Thought*, which was my own initial introduction to the subject
matter.  Its back cover explicitly calls it "A comprehensive and systematic
reconstruction of the philosophy of Charles S. Peirce--perhaps America's
most far-ranging and original philosopher--that reveals the unity of his
complex and influential body of thought."  This is followed by two
accompanying quotes.

Joseph Brent:  In spite of the difficult complexity of its subject, Kelly
Parker's ambitious work is remarkably clear and readable and is
indispensable for an understanding of the evolution of Peirce's thinking.

Nathan Houser:  I know of no better introduction to Pierce.  Parker's book
is the first to present Peirce's philosophy fully and systematically
following Peirce's own system.  This is a stimulating work that should
engage even the most sophisticated Peirce scholar.

These kinds of claims are not only unobjectionable, they are *routine *in
mainstream philosophical scholarship.  If no one could ever say anything *new
*about Peirce, then no one would ever have much to say *at all* about
Peirce.

JFS:  For my own writings, I have *never* seen any paraphrase--favorable or
unfavorable--that I would consider accurate.

Thanks for confirming that the attribution of such a sentiment to Peirce is
nothing more than a projection of one's own feelings.  Is it reasonable to
expect others to *memorize *what we have written, and then do nothing more
than repeat it back verbatim?  On the contrary, if no readers can
accurately restate it in *their own* words, then that strikes me as strong
evidence of a complete failure by the author to communicate his/her ideas
successfully.

JFS:  That is human charity, not mathematical charity.

Who said anything about "mathematical charity"?  Charity is charity,
regardless of the context--putting the best construction on everything, and
conscientiously exhibiting generosity of attitude.