Michael, List:

MM:  Hopefully a pause for breath is a kind of "outcome" that isn't final.

I agree, and am very glad to see that as a newcomer you have not already
been deterred from participating further by what has transpired here lately.

MM:  Given I am (as yet) on the back foot in scholarly methods I treasure
copious quotations.

I agree, because how else can we test and support our interpretative
hypotheses?

MM:  The value to all readers is in the exercise and the exposition by all
participants, not just the initiator.

I agree, and have benefited the most from discussions where there was
sincere but polite disagreement, which forced me to sharpen my own thinking.

MM:  Time (an enthusiasm of CSP) is on our side; in it reason, prudence,
perseverence and judgment can flourish: these are not zero-sum games.

I agree, and have spent a considerable amount of my own time over the last
few months studying Peirce's philosophy of time
<https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2020-03/msg00001.html>, which I
call *temporal synechism*.

MM:  I hope it's permissible for any list member to pitch in at any point
and not only those whose names are at the start of the post.

I agree, and consider giving a name at the beginning to be primarily just
an acknowledgment of who prompted the post that follows.

MM:  In The nature of mathematics (1933) Max Black cites L E J Brouwer's
demonstrating that excessive attempts are made to impose an excluded middle
when unwarranted.

I agree, and apparently so did Peirce, which is presumably why he usually
called excluded middle a *principle *rather than a *law*.

CSP:  Logic requires us, with reference to each question we have in hand,
to hope some definite answer to it may be true. That *hope* with reference
to *each case* as it comes up is, by a *saltus*, stated by logicians as a
*law* concerning *all cases*, namely, the law of excluded middle. This law
amounts to saying that the universe has a perfect reality. (NEM 4
<https://uberty.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Charles_S._Peirce_Math_4.compressed.pdf>:xiii,
no date)

CSP:  To speak of *the *actual state of things implies a great assumption,
namely that there is a perfectly definite body of propositions which, if we
could only find them out, are the truth, and that everything is really
either true or in positive conflict with the truth. This assumption, called
the principle of excluded middle, I consider utterly unwarranted, and do
not believe it. Still, I hold that there is reason for thinking it to be
very nearly true. (NEM 3
<https://uberty.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Charles_S._Peirce_Math_3.compressed.pdf>:758,
1893)

CSP:  No doubt there is an assumption involved in speaking of *the *actual
state of things … namely, the assumption that reality is so determinate as
to verify or falsify every possible proposition. This is called the *principle
of excluded middle*. ... I do not believe it is strictly true. But that is
nothing; logic does not inquire into the truth of premises. It is
convenient, not only in a practical but in a philosophical sense, to
commence with the study of arguments which assume such an absolutely
determinate state of things, without ourselves asserting that such a state
is quite realized. (NEM 3
<https://uberty.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Charles_S._Peirce_Math_3.compressed.pdf>:759-760,
1893)

By contrast, the principle of contradiction is indispensable.

CSP:  We cannot reason or think at all without making a distinction between
truth and falsity; while we can perform some elementary kinds of reasoning
(in point of fact, all that are considered in the traditional logic)
without absolutely excluding the possibility of an intermediate state
between the two, say the state of being sometimes true and sometimes false.
The principle of contradiction is more elementary than that of excluded
middle, so that we may begin by considering the consequences of the former
while leaving the latter out of account. (NEM 3
<https://uberty.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Charles_S._Peirce_Math_3.compressed.pdf>:751,
1881)

CSP:  The two principles of contradiction and excluded middle do not stand
at all upon the same plane. All motive for the criticism of our own
thoughts or those of others springs from the conviction of a distinction
between truth and falsity ... . On the other hand, it has often been held,
even when not professed, that concerning some matters there is no truth nor
falsity. ... But putting aside, for the present, these topics of higher
logic, what concerns us now is that certain rudimentary forms of reasoning,
embracing all those that the traditional logic has handed down to us,
depend only upon the impossibility of a fact's being both true and false,
and remain equally sound arguments, if we suppose that some things are
neither true nor false. (NEM 3
<https://uberty.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Charles_S._Peirce_Math_3.compressed.pdf>:753,
1881)

Peirce even anticipated the development of a three-valued logic, more than
a decade before anyone else.

CSP:  Triadic Logic is that logic which, though not rejecting entirely the
Principle of Excluded Middle, nevertheless recognizes that every
proposition, S is P, is either true, or false, or else S has a lower mode
of being such that it can neither be determinately P, nor determinately
not-P, but is at the limit between P and not P. ...
Thus the Triadic Logic does not *conflict *with Dyadic Logic; only, it
recognizes, what the latter does not ...
Triadic Logic is universally true. But Dyadic Logic is not absolutely false
... (R 339:515[344r]
<https://rs.cms.hu-berlin.de/peircearchive/pages/preview.php?ref=13412>,
1909)

The concrete thing denoted by S has "a lower mode of being" with respect to
possessing the abstract quality denoted by P whenever an *event *is
realized involving both. Rather than "S is P" or "S is not-P" being true,
either "S is *becoming *P" or "S is *becoming *not-P" is true.

MM:  What we should be doing IMO is not so much "agreeing to differ" as
leaving our ideas on the table for continued evaluation (at everybody's
leisure).

is always available to anyone who prefers not to retain posts in their own
e-mail folders.

MM:  Additionally, I heartily recommend visual and spatial thinking to all.

I agree, and apparently so did Peirce, since he believed strongly in the
superiority of his existential graphs for studying logic.