Mike, List,

MB: To, specifically, John, JAS, Gary R, Edwina,

GR: You have singled-out the most apposite list members, Mike.

MB: Please stop. Does anyone think this continued harangue is either: 1)
attracting new individuals to be interested in Peirce?; or 2) resolving
anything?

GR: a.Yes! please stop. I have for months now been asking that this
'harangue' stop.

GR: b. No! for sure this endless harangue is neither attracting new
individuals nor resolving anything. Indeed, I was excited that several new
and returning forum members were offering most intriguing, substantive
posts recently, delighted with the prospect that we might return to the
consideration of matters Peircean with some fresh and even
delightful new insights. Now I fear that if this problem continues that the
forum may not only lose them, but any potential new members who may happen
upon Peirce-L.

GR: To be perfectly clear, in my estimation this horrible 'harangue' began
about a year ago, shortly after John Sowa joined the list and began
harassing Jon Alan Schmidt, not on any *substance* of any of his post, but
on his *methodology*. He has been relentless in this and, frequently
seconded in it by Edwina Taborsky, it has indeed been very destructive of
list culture. JAS, I know, is not about to be intimidated by this
harassment, but it has kept him and others (including me) from having more
substantive and productive exchanges in Peirce-L. For example, I had begun
a post to addressed to our newest member, Michael Mitchell, but found
myself distracted, as I not infrequently have been this past year, by this
nonsense.

MB I wish I knew where there was a forum, as I first encountered years ago
with this list, where I could learn and sometimes contribute to an
inspection of Peirce's fecund writings. No longer. If, based on the
evidence of these interchanges

GR: This forum, which I've moderated for a little over 10 years now,
approaching nearly 1/3 of the time it's been in existence, and at the
request of Joe Ransdell as conveyed to *The Peirce Group* before his death,
has this past year become as disturbingly problematic as your message
suggests, Mike. Indeed, in the years in which I have moderated it, it has
never been in such crisis as it is now, as it has *become* during the past
year.

MB:. . . Please stop this destructive behavior.

GR: I agree that it is well past time to "stop this destructive behavior."
For in truth, and I repeat myself for emphasis: *if it continues much
longer it could very well undermine the viability of this forum.*

MB: Despite Gary R telling me offline to resign from the list, I will
continue to monitor.

GR: Let's get this straight, Mike. It is *you* who *first* asked me to
resign as moderator of the list. You wrote me off-list, after, as
moderator, I'd made several requests to John Sowa that this near endless
destructive behavior cease, and especially as it pertained to
the outrageous and nearly constant attacks on Jon Alan Schmidt by him. So,
Mike, it was *you* who originally wrote me off list to say that it was
"perhaps time for [me] to resign as moderator." And why? Because I was
striving to do exactly what you are asking in this post, that is
requesting, imploring, that this madness stop. I responded that if you
thought that my fervent desire and repeated attempt to stop this ugly
behavior on list was reason for me to resign as moderator, then perhaps
you'd misunderstood the purpose, culture, and ethics of the Peirce forum.
If *that* was the case, then it was *you *who should consider leaving the
forum. For I would continue to assert the right of every member of the
forum to participate without being harassed.

MB: I am curious to see if the human animal has the capacity to learn and
grow. Evidence based on the way this list is going does not instill
optimism.

GR: If we were not impeded to pursue inquiry in this forum as we have been
for nearly thirty years (save this last year), I think that the "capacity
to learn and grow," especially informed by the work of Peirce, can and
would grow. How much potential intellectual creative energy has been lost
here this past year.

After Joe Ransdell's death over 10 years ago, I was contacted by *The
Peirce Group* (TPG). I was told that Joe had requested that I be asked to
succeed him as moderator of Peirce-L I was, well, dumbfounded and awed and,
frankly, more than a little intimidated by the prospect. After all, Joe was
a Peirce scholar of international renown, while I had then written very
little on Peirce that had been published. But I was assured that Joe
completely trusted (from our on and off-list discussions, etc.) that I
would be fair and generous in my dealings with list members, that I was
humble enough, willing to see when I was wrong, to apologize when
necessary, but strong enough to assert the values of Peirce-L as he
established them. And I fully agreed with his *democratic approach to
inquiry* in this forum as he well knew.

I cannot tell you how shocking and what an inestimable loss it was to me
personally to suffer Joe's death, how much I admired him as a scholar and a
person; and, so, how very much I wanted to honor his work and more fully
establish his scholarly legacy. Therefore, with great trepidation, I took
on the task of moderating this list.

Joe had also requested that Ben Udell, my brilliant, personable, and most
ethical Peirce-L/Arisbe partner (and friend) over this past decade, should
oversee Arisbe, not only by being its webmaster, but to help it grow:
Arisbe as a *place* (an e-house of learning with many rooms where, ideally
in Joe's vision, scholars could meet and exchange their philosophical
ideas). So, when Nathan Houser suggested less than a month following Joe's
death, that I manage both Peirce-L and Arisbe, I offered the alternative
suggestion that I Ben and I both manage both Peirce-L and Arisbe. Nathan
agreed that that was an excellent idea, and the rest is history: we have
had an extraordinary collaboration.

Ben will affirm that in that first month I struggled to find what might
both keep Peirce-L viable, but which would also honor Joe. I decided on a
slow read of all of Joe's papers posted at Arisbe, and I spent the next few
weeks contacting Peirce scholars who might be willing to lead individual
paper discussion (with an associate leader). Ben will tell that putting
together that first slow read nearly killed me--I mean, literally sent me
to my grave as I was working many more than 12 hours a day on the project
for several weeks.

But, to cut to the chase, we had a very successful slow read of those
papers, followed over the years by several other slow reads of books,
including one by Cornelis de Waal, and another, organized by Gary Fuhrman,
of Frederik Stjernfelt's very influential book, *Natural Propositions*,
both authors participating in the slow read discussions.

I was also asked by the excellent Peirce scholar, that charming Aussie,
Cathy Legg (who has become my great good friend), to co-edit a special
*Transactions
of the Charles S. Peirce Society* edition on Joseph Ransdell. It was a
three year labor of love with extraordinary contributions by a number of
excellent Peirce scholars, some well-known, others less so. Fortuitously,
the special edition came out just as the conference on the centenary of
Peirce's death took place at UMass, Lowell. I can immodestly suggest that
it was a great success!

Those were among the halcyon years of my moderation of this forum.

The last year has been deeply troubled. I wish that the trouble would go
away. So, I would like to suggest that those who are unhappy with the
culture of this list go off and create their own list serve based on
whatever principles they imagine are better than the ones which Joseph
Ransdell established and that I intend to support for as long as I am able
to, God help me.

Best,

Gary Richmond (writing as moderator of peirce-l)

"Time is not a renewable resource." gnox

*Gary Richmond*
*Philosophy and Critical Thinking*
*Communication Studies*

Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<#m_9096631262413729917_m_-2196777822106231397_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>