Jon, John, List

Jon, thank you for pointing out that Jappy's work, which John referenced,
is *not* about phaneroscopy but, rather, about semeiotic; and, similarly,
that the Peirce snippets John quoted also -- as I see it, rather obviously
--  concern semeiotic (specifically, semeiotic grammar) and not
phaneroscopy/  phenomenology. I'll comment only on those three quotations
here.

CSP: Now the Icon may undoubtedly be divided according to the categories;
but the mere completeness of the notion of the icon does not imperatively
call for any such division”(EP2 163, April 1903).

Now this quotation is of considerable interest for several reasons. The
entire short paragraph as it appears in EP2 reads:

CSP: Now the Icon may undoubtedly be divided according to the categories
but the mere completeness of the notion of the icon does not imperatively
call for any such division. For a pure icon does not draw any distinction
between itself and its object. It represents whatever it may represent,
and, whatever it is like, it in so far is. It is an affair of suchness only.

The icon/index/symbol trichotomy is introduced in Peirce's semeiotic
grammar (along with two other trichotomies added somewhat later, namely,
the qualisign/sinsign/legisign and the rheme/dicisign/argument).

What is of interest to me here is that an icon "represent[ing] whatever it
may represent, and, whatever it is like [and so being] an affair of
suchness only," that this simplest of semeiotic structures in relation to
the sign's object may, nonetheless, "undoubtedly be divided according to
the [3] categories" is, on the face of it, a somewhat startling notion. So
at some point in the slow read I'd like to take this up. The crucial
distinction may be -- and as Joe Ransdell and I (and some others) discussed
it on the List many years ago -- that between 'a *pure* icon' (does Peirce
even regard a pure icon as really possible?) and 'iconicity' as, perhaps,
the second passage John quoted suggests.

CSP: But a sign may be iconic, that is, may represent its object mainly by
its similarity, no matter what its mode of being.  If a substantive be
wanted, an iconic [sign] may be termed a hypoicon.  Any material image, as
a painting, is largely conventional in its mode of representation; but in
itself, without legend or label it may be called a hypoicon.  (1903, CP
2.276)

The third and last quotation John offered suggests that according to the
trichotomic divisions of iconic signs, those 'hypoicons'  partaking of
"simple qualities" (images, such as paintings) are signs of "First
Firstness;" while those representing (mainly) dyadic relations can
similarly be considered signs of what we may now justifiably refer to as
signs of 2nd firstness (diagrams); and finally that those hypoicons "which
represent the representative character of a representamen by representing a
parallelism in something else" (metaphors) may be considered signs of 3rd
firstness.

CSP: Hypoicons may roughly [be] divided according to the mode of Firstness
which they partake.  Those which partake the simple qualities, or First
Firstnesses, are images; those which represent the relations, mainly
dyadic, or so regarded, of the parts of one thing by analogous relations in
their own parts, are diagrams; those which represent the representative
character of a representamen by representing a parallelism in something
else, are metaphors.  (R478 62; EP2274, 1903)

Whether or not one agrees with the details or the terminology or even the
whole of the above trichotomic analysis (which, again, I'd rather postpone
to much later in the slow read while, in fact, John didn't place his post
in a slow read thread), yet, these quotations all refer to *applications of
the categories* discovered in phenomenology to another science, viz.,
semeiotic, specifically, to the first branch of that science, semeiotic
grammar.

This tendency to conflate the application of the phenomenological
categories -- and, perhaps, the application especially to semeiotic -- with
the categories themselves is, in my view, one of the principal reasons why
the slow read of De Tienne's slideshow presentation of phaneroscopy/
phenomenology, seems timely and important.

Best,

Gary R

“Let everything happen to you
Beauty and terror