John, List, Dr. Jappy:

The excerpt below from my post (
https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2021-06/msg00073.html) is
incomplete. I began by stating that the cited writings by Dr. Jappy and
quoted statements by Peirce are not about phaneroscopy at all, but about
speculative grammar as the first branch of the normative science of logic
as semeiotic. I then provided two quotes from Dr. Jappy's book to this
effect, which I will not repeat here.

JFS: Much of the confusion is caused by Peirce's unfortunate use of the
term 'logic proper' (which occurs just 7 times in CP).

There is no confusion once we recognize and maintain the careful
distinction that Peirce draws between mathematics as the science *which
draws* necessary (strictly deductive) conclusions about *hypothetical *states
of things vs. "logic proper" as the normative science *of drawing*
conclusions of all kinds (retroductive, deductive, and inductive) about *any
*states of things. As such, it is generalized to semeiotic and has three
branches--speculative grammar, logical critic, and speculative rhetoric (or
methodeutic). Any confusion in this case is being caused by the utterly
unwarranted claim that "formal semeiotic" is somehow a branch of
phaneroscopy rather than speculative grammar.

JFS: Many readers forget that the very first branch of his 1903
classification is 'formal logic' (a term that occurs 119 times in CP).

This is true only when we are using "formal logic" as a synonym for
"mathematical logic," not as an object of study in itself (*logica docens*)
but merely as a tool for drawing necessary conclusions about hypothetical
states of things (*logica utens*). That may not be what Peirce specifically
has in mind with all 119 instances of "formal logic" in CP, especially
since many of them likely predate his 1903 classification of the sciences.

JFS: Speculative grammar depends on normative principles, which are derived
after formal logic is used in conjunction with phaneroscopy to derive the
categories and hypoicons.

Phaneroscopy is not "used ... to derive the categories," it is the very
science *within *which the categories are derived by prescinding the
irreducible elements of whatever is or could be present to the mind. By
contrast, hypoicons are *not *derived within phaneroscopy, they are derived
within speculative grammar by employing the *framework *provided by
phaneroscopy. This is obvious from the fact that such signs must *first *be
classified as primarily iconic (rather than indexical or symbolic) in
accordance with the nature of their relations to their dynamical objects.
Dr. Jappy even says so in his cited paper.

TJ: Note at this point that hypoiconicity is purely formal: adopting for
simplicity the terminology of Charles Morris and certain currents of
contemporary linguistics, the several hypoiconic formalisms described above
cannot provide semantic or pragmatic information. Peirce’s speculative
grammar, on which the 1903 Lowell Lectures on logic were based, simply
established the purely formal criteria concerning what might constitute a
class of signs or any one of its subdivisions such as a legisign, an index
or a rheme. (p. 8)

Hence, "formal semeiotic" *is *speculative grammar, the first branch of the
normative science of logic as semeiotic. Any classification of the sciences
that instead treats it as a branch of phaneroscopy is not *Peirce's
*classification
of the sciences.

JFS: I was wondering how you would classify the various topics that you
cover in your book and articles.

The title of Dr. Jappy's book explicitly characterizes its subject matter
as "the philosophy of representation," and one of the quotes from it that I
provided in my previous post explicitly defines this as the *normative *aspect
of logic--i.e., semeiotic, including speculative grammar--as opposed to its
formal/mathematical aspect.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian