}List

        What disagreement with Peirce? My point was to examine the quotes by
Peirce, selected by both JAS and Auke. They focused on different
definitions of reality and truth.

        I don't think that the differences can be defined as between 'those
which are verbal' vs 'those which are pragmatic'. Both acknowledge
that a real object is 'real' - regardless of 'what you or I may think
about it' 5.432. So, how do I see the difference?

        The JAS selections focus on the requirement, I think, for an
additional step to define 'the real'; namely, an investigation, 'by
all who investigate',  that concludes that this object is truthfully
represented 'in this opinion'.

        The quotes provided by JAS are indicative of the scientific method
.The intentionality, if I may use the term,  of dealing with these
objects rests within the mankind-who-investigate. Reality is defined
as that-which is-true after our investigations.

        But Auke's quotes show us a different aspect of reality, apart from
its being, after investigation, defined as true. His quotes - and I
emphasize that both JAS and Auke provided Peircean quotes ... puts
some intentionality - an inaccurate word I admit - upon reality;
namely, that 'the reality of things consists in their persistent
forcing themselves upon our recognition'.

        That's what is interesting in these definitions of reality; one
definition defines it as the result of OUR actions of investigation
and our evaluation of these investigations; the other definition
defines it as the result of the external world's persistence in
interaction with us.

        Both are obviously valid. I'm not sure how I would term or define
the two approaches.

        Edwina
 On Thu 17/06/21  9:59 AM , Jon Alan Schmidt jonalanschm...@gmail.com
sent:
 Edwina, Auke, List:
 I appreciate the honest acknowledgment of disagreement with Peirce.
However, nothing that I quoted from him "relies on man to define
truth." There is no inconsistency whatsoever between his definitions
of reality at the second and third grades of clarity, which I
summarize as follows.
    *Verbal definition of reality - that which is as it is regardless
of what anyone thinks about it.
    *Pragmatistic definition of reality - that which would be
affirmed in the ultimate opinion after infinite inquiry by an
infinite community.

Note that the latter describes a regulative ideal, not an actual
achievement, so it does not rely on man to define truth (or reality)
at all. It simply expresses the "cheerful hope" that our
investigations of reality, if carried out far enough in a sincere
spirit of seeking the truth, would eventually be self-correcting. For
more on this, I once again highly recommend Robert Lane's recent book,
 Peirce on Realism and Idealism
(https://books.google.com/books/about/Peirce_on_Realism_and_Idealism.html?id=yKpCDwAAQBAJ
[1]).
 As for Auke's post quoted below, I agree completely with Gary F.'s
response
(https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2021-06/msg00126.html [2]
).
 Regards,
Jon Alan Schmidt - Olathe, Kansas, USAStructural Engineer, Synechist
Philosopher, Lutheran Christianwww.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt [3]
- twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt [4]