Jon,

CP 1. 175 The reality of things consists in their persistent forcing themselves
upon our recognition.

CP 1.325 In the idea of reality, Secondness is predominant; for the real is
that which insists upon forcing its way to recognition as somethingotherthan
the mind's creation.

This quote comes from your recent reponse to Edwina:

CSP: That which any true proposition asserts is real, in the sense of being as
it is regardless of what you or I may think about it. (CP 5.432, EP 2:343, 1905)

And here we see what the relation is between propositions and reality.

In short: Real is that what is independed of individual thought. And it is
because of this independence of individual thought that we can talk about the
truth of propositions. Or the veracity of a pheneroscopic excercize.

Best,

Auke