Jon, you wrote: "Yes, Peirce describes existence as a subset of reality and
reality as a
subset of being.".

At first, this looks logically false: Two non-identical things. each one being
a subset of the other. So far, your resp. Peirce´s solution in the case of
reality and existence is, that there are two kinds of existence. I have
another, maybe not contradictional, solution:
The subset relation can reverse, if applied to different system hierarchies.
Example: Mouse is a subset of mammal, and mammal is a subset of mouse. In the
system hierarchy "composition from traits", mammal is a subset of mouse,
because being a mammal is only one trait of a mouse. In the system hierarchy
"taxonomic classification", mouse is a subset of mammal. This reverse subset
relation in composition versus subsumption (classification) goes back to
Stanley N. Salthe.

Best Regards, Helmut