Cécile, List

I present here, in the most condensed form possible, the merits of a purely
algebraic formalization of Peirce's semiotics, entirely indexed to the
history of its development.

*How do we distinguish the correlates of a triadic sign?*

*How do we formalize the triadic sign?*

This question arises because the definition of a triad, strictly speaking,
implies no a priori distinction between the elements it links together. If
you represent them by letters, you're surreptitiously introducing
lexicographical order and by numbers, the order of natural integers. This
is why I draw attention to an important warning Peirce gives about "First"
and "Second" in a footnote to the Syllabus in Part III (EP 2, selection 20):

**The conceptions of a First, improperly called an "object," and of a
Second should be carefully distinguished from those of Firstness or
Secondness, both of which are involved in the conceptions of First and
Second. A First is something to which (or, more accurately, to some
substitute for which, thus introducing Thirdness) attention may be
directed. It thus involves Secondness as well as Firstness; while a Second
is a First considered as (here comes Thirdness) a subject of a Secondness.
An object in the proper sense is a Second.* ( EP 2: 271)

This warning should shed light on the following definition of the Sign
(which, in my opinion, is far from the best) on page 272:

*A Sign, or Representamen, is a First which stands in such a genuine
triadic relation to a Second, called its Object, as to be capable of
determining a Third, called its Interpretant, to assume the same triadic
relation to its Object in which it stands itself to the same Object.* ( EP
2: 272)

On the other hand, the definition given in the fifth version of the
Syllabus (EP 2, selection 21), which is much more precise, will avoid
confusion:

*Representamen **is the First Correlate of a triadic relation, the Second
Correlate being termed its Object, and the possible Third Correlate being
termed its Interpretant, by which triadic relation the possible
Interpretant is determined to be the First Correlate of the same triadic
relation to the same Object, and for some possible Interpretant. A Sign is
a representamen of which some interpretant is a cognition of a mind*. (EP
2: 290 or CP 2.242 )

This is the version Jon Alan Schmidt has chosen to formalize the sign and
semiosis as a spiral. This definition is not that of an ordinary triad
since one correlate, the First, has the power to determine another, the
Third, to make it the new First of a new triad, conferring on it the same
power, and so on. Hence, the image of the spiral, of which Jon Alan Schmidt
provides a projection on a plane, requires raising this projection in the
reader's mind. The repeated addition of the notation S ïI is intended to
capture this "power" and, in fine, "*to capture the idea that the sign
mediates between the object and interpretant*."

But Peirce himself did much better to achieve this. Once again, I must
point out that Peirce modified his definitions of the Sign by introducing,
around 1904-1905, the determination of the sign S by the object O. Anybody
can consult the list of 76 definitions I published in 1990: it's available
on Peirce.org. There's no need to mention Existential Graphs, which require
a considerable intellectual investment, especially for non-expert readers.

Perhaps the most straightforward is this one (emphasis added):

*A sign may be defined as something (not necessarily existent) which is so
determined by a second something called its Object that it will tend in its
turn to determine a third something called its Interpretant in such a way
that in respect to the accomplishment of some end consisting in an effect
made upon the interpretant the action of Sign is (more or less) equivalent
to what that of the object might have been had the circumstances been
different. *(n° 36 - v. 1906 - MS 292. Prolegomena to an Apology for
Pragmaticism)

The most explicit about the creation of the triadic relation due to the
concatenation of the two determinations is the following:

*I define a Sign as anything which on the one hand is so determined by an
Object and on the other hand so determines an idea in a person's mind, that
this latter determination, which I term the Interpretant of the Sign, is
thereby mediately determined by that Object. A sign, therefore, has a
triadic relation to its Object and to its Interpretant. *(n° 47 bis – 1908
- Letter to Lady Welby in  CP 8.343 ).

It's clear, then, that the composition of the two determinations gives rise
to the triadic relation for Peirce. That's why I've underlined "therefore."
Consequently, the formalization is simplified considerably, without any
loss of information, by :

O  à S à I

The arrows represent determinations, and this diagram reads:

O determines S, which determines I

Referring to the Peircean conception of a determination:

*We thus learn that the Object determines (i.e. renders definitely to be
such as it will be) the Sign in a particular manner. *(CP 8.361, 1908)

We can see that O determines I by transitivity. Peirce verified this in MS
611 (Nov. 1908).

This diagram has the considerable advantage of being equivalent to the
mathematical object below:

Schematic representation of a category with objects *X*, *Y*, *Z* and
morphisms *f*, *g*, *g* ∘ *f*.
<https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ef/Commutative_diagram_for_morphism.svg/200px-Commutative_diagram_for_morphism.svg.png>
(click)

It's an algebraic category, the simplest there is (non-trivial). This one
is the archetypal example of a category on the Wikipedia site devoted to
this part of mathematics, which emerged in the second half of the 20th
century (Category theory - Wikipedia
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_theory>). In 1977 (in French) and
1982 (in English), I was able to use it to generate, in just a few pages,
not only classes of triadic signs but also, above all, to show that these
classes are naturally organized in a lattice structure (which Peirce had
intuited in the form of affinities). I've verified that Peirce knew about
this type of structure, but limited by set theory, he couldn't obtain it
formally. In his classification of the Sciences, this lattice occupies the
place of the *Grammatica Speculativa*. It's his ultimate form.

Robert Marty
Honorary Professor ; PhD Mathematics ; PhD Philosophy
fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Marty
*https://martyrobert.academia.edu/ <https://martyrobert.academia.edu/>*