Ben, List

You are confronted with the mathematical notion of the composition of
morphisms. This notion appears as an axiom in the definition of a category.
Category theory is the study of mathematical structures and their
relationships. It's a unifying notion that began with the observation that
many properties of formalized systems can be unified and simplified by
point-and-arrow diagrams. Their formal definition is not gratuitous; it
aims to capture these observations in exact, well-defined terms.
Admittedly, they first concerned mathematical objects, but points and
arrows are commonly used in all fields of knowledge. I don't think I'll be
denied on this list.

We only need to see the definition of a category to be convinced that it
will give us the means to think of these unifications with exactitude (this
is Peirce's "exact thinking" at the source of an "exact philosophy"):

*The doctrine of exact philosophy, as I understand that phrase, is, that
all danger of error in philosophy will be reduced to a minimum by treating
the problems as mathematically as possible,** that is, by construction some
sort of a diagram representing that which is supposed to be open to the
observation of every scientific intelligence, and thereupon
mathematically,--that is, intuitionally,--deducing the consequences of that
hypothesis. *(NEM IV:12, unidentified fragment)

*But in order completely to exhibit the analogue of the conditions of the
argument under examination, it will be necessary to use signs or symbols
repeated in different places and in different juxtapositions, these signs
being subject to certain "rules," that is, certain general relations
associated with them by the mind. Such a method of forming a diagram is
called algebra. All speech is but such an algebra, the repeated signs being
the words, which have relations by virtue of the meanings associated with
them. What is commonly called logical algebra differs from other formal
logic only in using the same formal method with greater freedom. I may
mention that unpublished studies have shown me that a far more powerful
method of diagrammatisation than algebra is possible, being an extension at
once of algebra and of Clifford's method of graphs; but I am not in a
situation to draw up a statement of my researches*. (CP: 3.418). [emphasize
mine]

NB: Clifford's algebras remain in current scientific research (see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clifford_algebra).

These quotations are self-explanatory regarding the adequacy of category
theory to realize Peirce's program. I am aware, of course, that he tried to
realize it himself with his existential graphs. But this should not block
the path of research since mathematicians, after Peirce, have forged potent
tools suitable for achieving the same goal.

I'm now giving the most "literary" definition of a category possible; it
requires only a common mathematical habitus to be apprehended.

A category is defined by three kinds of entities: objects, relations
between these objects (called morphisms or arrows), and an operation of
composition of these morphisms noted "o" thus defined: for three objects X,
Y, and Z, for any morphism f between X and Y and any morphism g between Y
and Z, there exists a morphism between X and Z noted g ∘ f which is the
compound of f and g. There are other axioms, in particular that of
associativity, of which everyone can take note

Let me come back to g ∘ f. This notion appears in the last year of the high
school science sections. To understand it better, I place myself in set
theory; sets are made up of elements; these will be the objects of the
category, and relations will be the applications of one set in another. To
verify that sets do indeed constitute a category, the operation "o" y needs
to be well defined: for each x of X, we have f (x)= y in Y, and for each y
of Y, we have g(y)=z in Z.  To compose the two is to apply g to the result
of f (x)=y by f, hence the new application (g ∘ f ) of X in Z well defined
by :

(g ∘ f )(x)= g(f(x)) = g(y) = z.

I now answer your question by literally reversing your doubt into belief (I
hope!): not only does   "O → S → I" not break down into the dyads "O → S"
and "S → I," but it is the composite of the two dyads that constitute the
triad in any mind. As a result, it gives I the power to represent O and
thus to be a First (i.e., a First correlate of a new triad - otherwise,
it's the third correlate that becomes a First as soon as it's present in
mind since it's the one that attention is now focused on, thus initiating
semiosis by simple iteration). Such a thing is only possible if the mind
has previously internalized the relationship between O and S through
previous "collateral" experience in the external world.

All this Peirce writes here :

*I define a Sign as anything which on the one hand is so determined by an
Object and on the other hand so determines an idea in a person's mind, that
this latter determination, which I term the Interpretant of the Sign, is
thereby mediately determined by that Object. A sign, therefore, has a
triadic relation to its Object and to its Interpretant. *(n° 47 bis – 1908
- Letter to Lady Welby in  CP 8.343 ).

*Every object of experience excites an idea of some sort; but if that idea
is not associated sufficiently and in the right way so with some previous
experience so as to narrow the attention, it will not be a sign.* (from n°56
- 1911 - MS 849)

This is the latest stage in his reflection on the triadic sign. He extended
it to the hexadic sign, defined using a sequence of five determinations
between 6 elements everyone knows. The question of the determinations of
the decadic sign is still open. I challenge anyone to master the
combinatorial explosion of the number of classes of signs without these
determinations.

 Regards,

Robert Marty
Honorary Professor ; PhD Mathematics ; PhD Philosophy
fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Marty
*https://martyrobert.academia.edu/ <https://martyrobert.academia.edu/>*