Hi, Robert, all,

I wish a whole lot of us 15 or 20 years ago had noticed a paragraph that you
quote in your message,

   /The conceptions of a First, improperly called an "object," and of a Second
should be carefully distinguished from those of Firstness or Secondness, both of which
are involved in the conceptions of First and Second*. A First is something to which* (or,
more accurately, to some substitute for which, thus introducing Thirdness) *attention may
be directed*. It thus involves Secondness as well as Firstness; *while a Second is a
First considered as (here comes Thirdness) a subject of a Secondness.* An object in the
proper sense is a *Second*./ (EP 2: 271)

We had some long arguments many years ago at peirce-l about what Peirce meant by
"First" etc., when he wasn't explicitly tying those adjectives to the
categories.  Joe Ransdell, Gary Richmond, I, and probably others, argued that, yes,
Peirce was alluding to his categories.

I also remember a whole lot of discussion about Peirce's shift to viewing the
sign as not only determining the interpretant but also being determined by the
object.  At the time, a 1906 quote was the earliest that I could find (I
happened to find it at Commens.org I think), and Joe came up with a quote that
prefigured Peirce's shift, from 1905 or 1904, I wish I could remember (and I
tried years ago without success to find Joe's message about it), but I don't
want send anybody on a wild goose chase.

Folks, here, by the way, is a link to Robert's "76 DEFINITIONS OF THE SIGN BY C.S.
PEIRCE"
http://perso.numericable.fr/robert.marty/semiotique/76defeng.htm

It includes added quotes absent from the Arisbe version.

Robert, you wrote below that "*O → S → I*" reads:

"*O determines S, which determines I*."

I haven't tried to learn any category theory, since I got intimidated by its
being reputedly based in very high or abstract algebra.

Generally I recall people saying that —

   an object determines a sign to determine an interpretant

— rather than that —

   an object determines a sign, which determines an interpretant

— a phrasing which makes the sign's determination of an interpretant seem possibly coincidental to the sign's being
determined by an object, like dominoes toppling, each one the next, though the earlier dominoes are not finally-caused
to topple the later ones (except if they are literal dominoes that some person set up to fall that way).  I remember
(though not in detail) a whole lot of discussion of this at peirce-l.  Does the category-theoretical understanding of
"O determines S, which determines I" avoid that seeming problem?  To put it another way, how does "*O →
S → I*" keep from breaking down into dyads "*O → S*" and "*S → I*"?  I'm not trying to be
argumentative, I'm actually wondering.

Best, Ben