Dear Ben,

Just to let you know that I've been reading and enjoying your many recent comments. I haven't commented because I can't keep up with your pace -- but hopefully I will catch up some in time. I especially enjoying your persistent examination of what it means to interpret something. The way I confuse myself on this issue is to repeatedly disregard the notion that all is interpretation (ie we begin with the given of interpretation as the means by which we experience the world) and instead fall into what I consider the trap of begining with objects as existing apart from our semiotic experience of them and then to somehow try to make sense of a objects that do not exist as I have mistakenly posited them.

I must remind myself that its signs all the way down. An infintitude of signs (which are interpretants) within which are objects as one pole of a tri-polar infinitely nested or enfolded reality of signs -- unfolding behind us and we stumble backwards into the future, eyes firmly fixed on the past searching for clues as to where we might be tending. The present (as I understand it) is the continuous unfolding of the potential (which is the future) into the actual (which is the past). This continuous circular ever expanding and informing process or re-presentation of the present I understand to be semiosis -- however it's spelled. None of which do I take to be a refutation of any that you've said -- just my way of paying my respects to what you are saying as part of what seems to me a list wide attempt to sort it all out. A common interest.

Best wishes,
Jim Piat