From: "Gary Richmond" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Benjamin Udell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 5:52 PM
Subject: SIGNIFICATION AND APPLICATION

"In a nutshell"
Peirce: CP 2.317 Fn P1 p 182 Cross-Ref:††
†P1 Mill's term connote is not very accurate. Connote properly means to denote along with in a secondary way. Thus "killer" connotes a living thing killed. When the scholastics said that an adjective connoted, they meant it connoted the abstraction named by the corresponding abstract noun. But the ordinary use of an adjective involves no reference to any abstraction. The word signify has been the regular technical term since the twelfth century, when John of Salisbury (Metalogicus, II, xx) spoke of "quod fere in omnium ore celebre est, aliud scilicet esse quod appellativa (i.e., adjectives) significant, et aliud esse quod nominant. Nominantur singularia (i.e., existent individual things and facts), sed universalia (i.e., Firstnesses) significantur." See my paper of Nov. 13, 1867 [next chapter], to which I might now [1902] add a multitude of instances in support of what is here said concerning connote and signify.

Peirce: CP 2.431 Cross-Ref:††
SIGNIFICATION AND APPLICATION †1

431. These are substitute terms for what are called by Mill and others connotation and denotation; for (1) the previously well-established use of connote was somewhat warped by Mill and his followers, and (2) these words may be applied to the corresponding properties of propositions as well as terms. The application of a term is the collection of objects which it refers to; of a proposition it is the instances of its holding good. The signification of a term is all the qualities which are indicated by it; of a proposition it is all its different implications.

Peirce: CP 2.432 Cross-Ref:††
432. Great confusion has arisen in logic from failing to distinguish between the different sorts of signification, or connotation, of a term: thus to the question, Are proper names connotative? "contradictory answers are given by ordinarily clear thinkers as being obviously correct," for the reason that they have not the same thing in mind under the term connotation. It is necessary to distinguish between; (1) the indispensable signification; (2) the banal signification; (3) the informational signification; and (4) the complete signification. (1) is so much as is contained in whatever may be fixed upon as the definition of the term--all those elements of the meaning in the absence of any one of which the name would not be applied; (2) is what "goes without saying," what is known to every one, and (3) is what there is occasion to give utterance to: these, of course, vary with the different individuals to whom the proposition is given out--that oxygen is exhilarating is informational to the student of chemistry, and banal to the teacher of chemistry (but false to those who are familiar with the latest results of the science); (4) consists of all the valid predicates of the term in question. When I say, "The one I saw yesterday was John Peter," the indispensable signification of John Peter is simply an individual object of consciousness (usually a man, though it may be a dog, or a doll) whom it has been agreed to designate by that name; but the banal signification, to one who knows John Peter well, is very extensive.

Peirce: CP 2.433 Cross-Ref:††
433. The same characteristics apply to propositions as well as to terms: thus the complete signification (or implication) of All x is y is all its valid consequences, and its complete application (or range) is all those descriptions of circumstances under which it holds good--that is to say, all its sufficient antecedents.

Peirce: CP 2.434 Cross-Ref:††
434. A general term denotes whatever there may be which possesses the characters which it signifies; J. S. Mill uses, in place of signifies, the term connotes, a word which he or his father picked up in Ockham. But signify has been in uninterrupted use in this sense since the twelfth century, when John of Salisbury spoke of "quod fere in omnium ore celebre est aliud scilicet esse appellativa significant, et aliud esse quod, nominant. Nominantur singularia; sed universalia significantur."†1 Nothing can be clearer. There is no known occurrence of connote as early as this. Alexander of Hales (Summa Theol., I. liii) makes nomen connotans the equivalent of appellatio relativa, and takes the relation itself as the accusative object of connotare, speaking of "creator" as connoting the relation of creator to creature. So Aquinas, In sentent., I. dist. viii. q. 1, Art. 1. Subsequently, because adjectives were looked upon as relative terms, white being defined as "having whiteness," etc., the adjective was looked upon as connoting the abstraction, but never unless its supposed relative character was under consideration. Tataretus, for example, who wrote when the usage was fully established, will be found using such phraseology as the following: "Nulla relativa secundum se habent contrarium, cum non sint qualitates primae, sed solum relativa secundum dici, et hoc secundum esse absolutum et significatum principale eorum et non secundum esse respectivum et connotativum." Chauvin †2 (1st ed.) says: "Connotativum illud est cuius significatum non sistit in se, sed necessario ad aliud refertur, vel aliud connotat. V. g. Rex, magister, primus."

Peirce: CP 2.434 Cross-Ref:††
It unfortunately happened, as the above quotations show, that the precise meaning recognized as proper to the word "signify" at the time of John of Salisbury (a younger contemporary of Abelard) was never strictly observed, either before or since; and, on the contrary, the meaning tended to slip towards that of "denote." Yet even now the propriety of John's remark must be recognized.

Peirce: CP 2.434 Cross-Ref:††
A number of works were written in the middle ages, De modis significandi, based upon Priscian (a contemporary of Boëthius), who in turn followed Apollonius the bad-tempered, "grammaticorum princeps," who lived in the time of Hadrian and Antoninus Pius. Cf. also Thurot, Notices et Extraits des MSS. xxii. Pt. II, and Duns Scotus, Works, Lyons edit. 1.

Ben wrote,

Joe, list,

I had a thought about an topic from February 2006.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Ransdell"  To: "Peirce Discussion Forum"
Sent: Friday, February 10, 2006 9:32 AM Subject: [peirce-l] Re: NEW ELEMENTS: So what is it all about?

>>[Ben] Yet attributions, ascriptions, copulations, distributions, etc., etc., of predicates to subjects, or of accidents to substances, or of qualities to reactions, all have a certain similarity and parallelism. Then when we associate connotation in one way with firstness, quality, & iconicity and, in another way, with thirdness, meaning/implication/entailment, we get confused. Or at least I get confused.

>[Joe] That is exactly the confusion that I was trying to express, Ben. ....

I've come to think that the mistake here is to associate connotation generally with firstness, quality, & iconicity on account possibly mainly of the prominence of the case of a descriptive predicate term, the case which has been the focus of the "connotation x denotation = information" discussions. If the connotation is, as Peirce says elsewhere, the meaning or significance which gets formed into the interpretant, then we should recognize -- as equally valid modes of connotation along with the connoting of a quality -- symbolic designation of an object, and the symbolizing of a representational relation. In a way, the real "odd man out" is _denotation._ Not that the conception of denotation isn't valid.

sign ------------ icon ------ resembling, portraying
|> interpretant - |> symbol - |> evoking, connoting
object ---------- index ----- pointing at, pointing to

The main difference between Peirce's account of connotation & the "everyday" logical account, is that he at least sometimes equates connotation with significance, significance presumably including implication, while the everyday account, I think, tends to equate connotation with meaning in the sense of _acceptation_ (and perhaps with a meaning arising in an "obvious" way through a compounding of acceptations). For what it's worth, it also seems to me that, if an evocation/connotation distinction is to be made, it might be better made between that which is evoked *as* information *(evocation)* and that which is evoked (soever informatively) as subject matter or as a given *(connotation)*. Under this account, icons and indices would generally not _connote_, though they easily _evoke_.

Best, Ben