Ben:

My comment is from a chemical perspective. It may or may not be of help to you.

On May 6, 2006, at 1:06 AM, Peirce Discussion Forum digest wrote:

But first, on a general note, let me say that among the issues driving =
my current display of confusion & error, is the question:  if =
comprehension is for quality & predicate, while denotation is for =
objects (resistances/reactions), then what dimension is for =
representational and logical relations themselves? Words like "not," =
"probably," "if," etc. do not designate either qualities or objects, nor =
do they represent objects as having this or that quality.

Names of chemical substances are always a subject of a chemical sentence. A chemical sentence can express existence. Water exists. This is in the imperative mood. A chemical name connotes the properties; the properties are context dependent. (Thermodynamics, for example, describes the context dependency of the variables of temperature, pressure and volume.)

What, then, do =
they connote? What do they denote?

The particular properties denote a specific substance; the particular properties create the identity of the species in chemical logic.

(Of course, one must keep in mind that the chemical name always refers to the pure substance. The problems of mixtures (like a biological cell) are vastly more complicated with respect to connotation and denotation. The concept of purity is difficult enough in its own right!))

Of course, if one is philosophically opposed to the notion of material existence, the expressions of chemistry are a linguistic challenge!

Cheers

Jerry