Dear Jim,

Yeah, I think that the idea is that Peirce was _already_ working on the
questions of classifying the elements when Mendeleev published his.Periodic
Table. Peirce might have already worked out some of the picture, so it could
have been contemporaneous with his work on philosophical threefolds. Anyway,
he'd have understood a triangle-like structure in Mendeleev's table without
Mendeleev's having draw him a picture, and at that point, if not earlier, it
would have HAD to give him pause. I mean, if one is of a mind to look across
diverse fields for a recurrent pattern of logical categories, then one is going
to _look_ at that sort of thing.

Off-list, Gary Richmond, who's quite busy, sent me this:

66~~~~~~~~~~
Chemistry expresses itself in Peirce's valency theory (the term is not his but
Ken Ketner's who hasn't been given enough credit yet for his work in this area,
something you hinted hadn't been developed in Pierce, etc.). In any event, see
the reduction thesis at work in organic chemistry here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_nomenclature
Trichotomy, the reduction thesis, the development of EGs, etc. all come from
Peirce's knowledge of and work in chemistry. In some writings he makes this
explicit.
~~~~~~~~~~99

As for mass, Peirce did not really consider physical quantities of that kind in
his philosophy, especially since energy in its relationships required extensive
special experiences to understand and quantify. I've talked about how --
because of the consideration of a finite constant signal-speed limit and its
ramifications for measurement acts and for the unification of the conceptions
of space and time -- special relativity may be able to be better based on the
general and philosophical level than Newtonian physics was. Anyway, Peirce did
explicitly consider (physical) matter a "second" -- effete mind, spent,
exhausted, all birthed-out.

Why would you consider, as a Second, an index relative to you, but consider as
a First and a quality, some indices mutually relative to one another? If the
indices' mutual relationality to one another is a form and quality, why isn't
_an_ index's relation a form and quality, indeed its representational
relations, to its object and to you -- why isn't that a form and quality and
firstness? Why do you consider form a quality? Form is a kind of medium
displaying all kinds of things -- rhythms, temporal things, and energy and
vibrance as well. But basically, a shape in space looks like a balance of
motion(s) and/or force(s). And when one looks not at loose forms -- patterns of
bubbles on water, etc. -- but integral, cohesive forms, one sees structures,
with structural integrities amidst their very flexibilities. To point to a
thing with a certain quality is one thing, but to point at a thing which is a
complex of things pointing at one another -- that seems another thing. The line
of one's pointing can get caught up into the cross-woven "richochets" of
indexicality in such a complex.

Best, Ben