At 6:22 AM -0700 7/31/04, Chris Doss wrote:
--- Yoshie Furuhashi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The question, I thought, was whether Kurds, Kashmiris, and Chechens
(as well as East Timorese, Albanians in Kosovo, etc. from recent
history) have the right to self-determination.
---

Yoshie, upon a little reflection, I think this is a pretty naive way
of considering the situation.

Who gets to determine Chechnya's status?

There is no a priori answer to the question. For instance, Palestinians are divided in several ways: those who live in Israel as its second-class citizens, those who live in Israel illegally, those who live in the occupied territories, those who live in refugee camps outside historic Palestine, those who are citizens or permanent residents of other nations. The levels of Palestinians' own struggle and international support for it will determine whether or not Palestinian refugees can return to their homeland, to take just one example. The same goes for every other national question: after all, what will be decisive is the levels of struggles on the ground and international support for them. Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/>
* Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/>
* Calendars of Events in Columbus:
<http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>,