I could be wrong here, but I think the check is to make sure that tar
doesn't set +x on Makefile.PL or Build.PL, thus forcing the user to run
the proper version of perl instead of automagically running the perl
that shebang points to.  (Example: Makefile.PL says #!/usr/bin/perl, but
you really want to run /home/jon/blead/bin/perl.  Forcing you to type
this out is "a good thing".)

I personally don't see the value of this, I always run perl Makefile.PL
anyway.  Do +x *.PL files cause problems with CPAN installs?  (Or am I
completely wrong in my interpretation of this test? :)

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway