Jonathan Rockway wrote:
I could be wrong here, but I think the check is to make sure that tar
doesn't set +x on Makefile.PL or Build.PL, thus forcing the user to run
the proper version of perl instead of automagically running the perl
that shebang points to.  (Example: Makefile.PL says #!/usr/bin/perl, but
you really want to run /home/jon/blead/bin/perl.  Forcing you to type
this out is "a good thing".)

I personally don't see the value of this, I always run perl Makefile.PL
anyway.  Do +x *.PL files cause problems with CPAN installs?  (Or am I
completely wrong in my interpretation of this test? :)

There's a previous thread on this that explains the details.

In short, the perl you call Makefile.PL with, is the one that automagically gets used later when calling make test, make install etc.

So for cases where there is more than one Perl installed (and there's more than you'd think) it ensures that people are installing modules to the correct Perl, and prevents accidents.

Adam K