Jonathan Rockway wrote:

I could be wrong here, but I think the check is to make sure that tar
doesn't set +x on Makefile.PL or Build.PL, thus forcing the user to run
the proper version of perl instead of automagically running the perl
that shebang points to.  (Example: Makefile.PL says #!/usr/bin/perl, but
you really want to run /home/jon/blead/bin/perl.  Forcing you to type
this out is "a good thing".)

I personally don't see the value of this, I always run perl Makefile.PL
anyway.

I have two perls on this 'ere machine, one of which I use for general scripting and hacking on the machine itself. That's the first one in the path, so is what gets invoked when I say "perl Makefile.PL". The other is in /opt/ and is built the same as the perl on our QA and production machines (where it also lives in /opt). It's what I use for writing code that will eventually go live to the public. Obviously, I need different modules for those two cases, and just as obviously, when installing a module I need to tell Makefile.PL which perl to install it for.

(actually I have three perls, but one is Debian's own version which I never touch)

--
David Cantrell