* Jan Dubois <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007-11-28 02:50]:
> This has come up before (e.g. the WWW::EuroTV removal request
> in 2003). I still have the same opinion I had back then:
>
> | I think this discussion is missing the point. It should not
> | be: "What can we legally get away with?", but "Do we have the
> | courtesy to respect the wishes of publishers of
> | information?", even if their wishes might not be legally
> | enforceable.
> |
> | Since this is about Perl advocacy, I would like to quote a
> | bit of Perl culture: "It [Perl] would prefer that you stayed
> | out of its living room because you weren't invited, not
> | because it has a shotgun."
> |
> | I think the same rules should apply for screenscrapers too:
> | If website owners don't want their pages to be scraped, then
> | people shouldn't do it and get their information elsewhere.
> | It is like honoring a robots.txt file. It is probably not
> | enforceable, but it is the right thing to do.

Mostly, I agree. However, there are a number of courtesies in
play here beyond the one you mention. Note that we are talking
about many more parties than just the site owners and the author
of the module. We are also talking about CPAN administrators and
the CPAN mirror adminstrators. It is more than courteous of all
of them not to take action against the interests of a module
author on behalf of a third party without verifying the third
party’s demands as legitimate and reasonable.

“My freedom ends where yours begins” goes both ways.

Also, your quote about the shotgun very much applies: the
site owners sent a Cease and Desist. If they escalate to legal
weapons, I am inclined to respond by examining their demand on
legal grounds. If instead they *asked* the module author to
please remove the module, and the module author himself in turn
*asked* the CPAN administrators and CPAN mirror administrators to
respect his wish to comply with the wish of the site owners, that
would make for a very different situation and I would be readily
willing to forgo formalities.

But Paul Grinberg has yet to surface to say anything for himself,
and while it may well be that the site owners tried asking him
first, I can only go by the fraction of the story that I know
about.

Regards,