* Michael G Schwern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007-12-06 05:05]:
> no_plan already has all these issues and the sky remains firmly
> fixed in the heavens. Header-at-end TAP is still streamable.
> You don't have to read the whole document before you can get
> information.

Sure. You just have less information during on-the-fly processing
that might be important or even just handy in some situations.

> It doesn't close off any testing situations, and it makes quite
> a few more much simpler.

It absolutely makes some things simpler. It also makes others
harder. It’s a tradeoff. I was just calling to allow test authors
to weigh the sides for themselves when they run into a case that
exposes the issue.

> A. Pagaltzis wrote:
> > But streamability isn’t important in that most common use
> > case, so it probably shouldn’t be the default, which is why I
> > opined that maybe Test::More should be strict on request but
> > not by default.
>
> Sorry, I must have missed that. Your example code up to this
> point looked like it required the user to declare up front that
> they were going to put a plan later.

Well that *is* what I was referring to.

> Having the author declare in the test that they'd like
> Test::More to be strict with the plan seems near useless. If
> you're going to declare that you have to declare a plan, why
> not just declare the plan?

Whenever you have a reason to call `plan` instead of
declaring the plan on the `use` line, you need to ensure that
some inadvertently placed BEGIN block doesn’t mess things up.
Your suggested Test::Builder->must_have_plan flag would work
just fine for that. Whoever needs it can make sure to flip it
at the appropriate time, via Test::MustHavePlan or however.

Regards,