On 19 Dec 2007, at 03:13, Michael G Schwern wrote:
Anyhow, what's clear is there is a problem with IO::AIO. It hasn't been addressed properly by the author. While it's frustrating to get a constant stream of "your shit is broke", his shit is indeed broke. This is a clear case of CPAN Testers technology working as expected and tickling a social problem.

I'm locked in correspondence with Marc now.

His view: cpan-testers are incompetent, ego tripping, quasi-religious nuisances.
My view: approx your view.

Obviously that's my (probably extremely unprofessional) impression of his views. He did mention religion and ego though :)

It is particularly near to my heart as Test::More has a similiar problem with thread tests and I'm not sure what to do about it. There was the suggested "author does not care" marker for tests which might fail but are only for the information of the installer -- the author already knows about them, don't
report the failure.

As for the social problem, the BSD testers could try to help out with whatever the problem is. On Marc's side he could ask for help instead of asking everyone to turn off the immensely useful automated testing. It could also use an INSTALL doc and have the Makefile.PL warnings be more prominent with perhaps a pause, beep or a well-behaved "Do you wish to continue? [No]".

I referred him the Devel::Check(OS|Lib) - I think they'd solve a fair wedge of his problems at a stroke. DrHyde++.

--
Andy Armstrong, Hexten