# from David Golden
# on Monday 25 February 2008 12:50:

>Assuming that a recent CPAN.pm is installed that knows what to do with
>configure_requires.
>
>Is it me or does this list have some variation of this discussion
>every couple weeks? :-)

I guess that's about how often I post ;-)

>I think configure_requires is a great idea, as long as one also puts
>"use 5.010;" at the top of the Build.PL and Makefile.PL.

Perhaps the CPAN(PLUS) needs to be upgraded.  Would you be extolling the
virtues of bundling all of the (requires aka 'runtime') dependencies in
a dist if these tools had not always provided the basic feature of
resolving those dependencies?

We always install the latest version of a dependency dist (jagged edges
and all -- except if it was not indexed[1]), so why include stale
versions of some odd number of build tools in the tarball?  Why not
just bundle 3 (or 7) compiler and linker binaries while we're at it?

[1] via the convention that the name contains an '_' and/or the
string 'TRIAL' and/or based on the phase of the moon when it was
uploaded

--Eric
--
If the above message is encrypted and you have lost your pgp key, please
send a self-addressed, stamped lead box to the address below.