On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 4:09 PM, Eric Wilhelm
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  >I think configure_requires is a great idea, as long as one also puts
>  >"use 5.010;" at the top of the Build.PL and Makefile.PL.
>
>  Perhaps the CPAN(PLUS) needs to be upgraded.  Would you be extolling the

You're right.  I take back my suggestion of use 5.010.  Instead it
should be "use CPAN 1.92 ();" -- which is the first CPAN.pm to support
the "configure_requires" feature.  That way, if it fails, it's at
least a useful message about what the user really needs to have
installed.

For the most part, I wouldn't advocate bundling things to satisfy
dependencies.  However, this is bootstrap problem, so I'm more willing
to accept it.  Since the 'standard approach' has been to get
dependencies only *after* Makefile.PL or Build.PL, any tools needed in
the PL files need to be bundled or else CPAN has to be upgraded to use
configure_requires.

To chromatic's point about "people don't want to install stuff" --
they do want to install stuff, but -- to generalize from my own point
of view -- they don't want to have to manually figure out what the
dependencies are based on what blows up.

I want to be lazy and impatient -- when I say "install Foo", then just
gimme Foo and any dependencies it needs!  Don't make me think about
it.

So I advocate for people to create their distributions for maximum
laziness.  :-)  Thankfully, David Cantrell's scripts to do the
bundling let you be pretty lazy as an author, too.

David