# from Greg Sabino Mullane
# on Monday 30 June 2008 06:20:

>The important question to ask is,
>(assuming the ratings are something worth keeping),

They probably could be more useful if they could be used as a search
criteria (possibly also using a personal list of preferred reviewers as
another parameter.)

>why are people not
>rating modules, and how can we encourage people to do so?

They are not useful to the reviewer.  If I decide to try a module, I
wouldn't know enough about it to write a review until after I had
solved the problem.  Given some way to accumulate my opinions privately
in a tool which also helps me keep track of my thoughts about one
module vs another, I would basically have the reviews written at the
end of my search.

That is, the review tool would actually be helping the process along.
Further usability might come from allowing reviews to be deferred (to
set a reminder after it's been used a bit), and maybe something like
local/selective sharing which allows teams to collect and share their
thoughts (whether or not it allows a completely private database for
company use -- this gets back to knowing/vetting the reviewer.)

--Eric
--
Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power
to make you commit injustices.