On Monday, March 25, 2002, at 09:37 , Nick Ing-Simmons wrote:

>>  in trouble?  Or perl on such systems are smart enough to load
>> UNIVERSA.pm (I guess this is the case).
>
> They load UNIVERSAL.pm and the OS truncates it and finds UNIVERSA.pm.
>
>>   Size reduction was a byproduct of */Makefile.PL linting.
>>   As for "Encode::Supports", there is another concern in perldoc;  is
>> perldoc smart enough to 8.3-ize filenames?
>
> Same logic as above works - name passed to OS is still the long one.

   Okay, I am convinced that we should stick with the original, long,
user-friendly names but how about ucm-transitions?
   As of Encode-0.98, there are so many duped tables under Encode/ and I
want to tidy it up if possible.  Well, for this I will wait what
Sadahiro-san has to say....
   At leas euc-jp must be in *.ucm because it contains triple-bytes (JIS
X 0212), which Encode::Tcl used to handle via Encode::Tcl::Extended but
now ::Extended is gone....

Dan the Encode Maintainer