Sisyphus wrote:

Yes - that's possibly what I was trying to find. I've since had time
to take a more thorough look at the ppm documentation and, in so
doing, found that the ppd file can be displayed by running:

ppm describe -ppd DBI

Interestingly, that displays a slightly different ppd file to the one
I see when I browse to
http://ppm.activestate.com/PPMPackages/5.8-windows/DBI.ppd . (The
difference is that one way lists a fully qualified CODEBASE HREF path, whereas the other lists a relative CODEBASE HREF path. I'm not
sure what's happening there ... I think I don't want to think about
it any more

perhaps Gozer can give a more complete answer, but I expect the
difference is that the ppd with the url above is available for PPM2
compatibility, whereas in ppm3, you are hitting Gozer's new, super-fast,
super-cool mod_perl server implementation.

Part of the reason why people were seeing failures initially was due to
some bugs in the new server codebase, but we believe these have all now
been resolved. In our tests ppm is now much faster, and also puts almost
no load on the server it is running on.

cheers, JeffG