One more random credo I just made up:

        By the time you add the seventeeth argument/member/field/function
        to your function/struct/class/API you should start seriously
        suspecting that maybe your API needs a rethink.

        (For the first three, rethinking at five elements is recommended,
         at ten you really should split the functionality, either
         horizontally or vertically.  An API can be slightly larger
         before it falls down in a spastic heap of confusion.)

        (I'm also making up the numbers so keep your quibbling about five
         and ten to yourself, they are not mystical holy numbers.)

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen