At 03:38 AM 12/5/2001 +0100, Bart Lateur wrote:
>On Tue, 04 Dec 2001 15:57:56 -0500, Dan Sugalski wrote:
>
> >Q: Don't you know that stack machines are the way to go in software?
> >A: No, in fact, I don't.
> >
> >Q: But look at all the successful stack-based VMs!
> >A: Like what? There's just the JVM.
> >
> >Q: What about all the others?
> >A: *What* others? That's it, unless you count perl, python, or ruby.
>
>I thought Pascal's (ancient) p-code was a stack VM... Yup, some web
>pages that I can find in a hurry, confirm that.

Right, but back then they called 'em "p-code interpreter" which was far
less pretentious. :)

Besides, the only p-code machine I could think of was UCSD Pascal running
on the Apple IIs, and that seemed a bit old to reference.

The Zork interpreter might be stack based, thinking about it, but it was
hardly geared for speed, so I don't know that it'd count if it was.

                                        Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk